How to use a multi-line comment for a function?

I am making a library project with several modules. I can successfully build the project, test the project, and build the documentation. However, I can’t seem to make multi-line doc comments for non-container entities. Multi-line comments work for modules - e.g.:

/*!
Module.
Line 1 is shown.

Line 2 is properly shown.
*/

The above example works correctly. However, trying to do something like that for a function only shows the first line - e.g.:

/**
Function.
Line 1 is shown.

Line 2 is not shown.
*/
pub fn foo() {
}

Anything beyond the first line doesn’t show up in the docs. I’ve tried different indent levels and prefixing each line with *, but nothing works. I also can’t find much/any documentation on multi-line doc strings, and I haven’t found an example of multi-line doc strings for functions.

Anyone have any advice?

The simplest solution would be to prefix every line with ///.
The following should work:

///Function.
///Line 1 is shown.
///
///Line 2 is not shown.
pub fn foo() {
}

I don’t know of any way to make a doc-comment explicitly multi-line. But since you were fine with prefixing everything with * I think this should work for you.

This doesn’t work either :frowning: only the first line is shown. Thanks though!

Did you try clicking on the function in question (in your example foo)? This is an example from the standard library. Look at the atomics. Only a one line summary is shown until you click on it. Then more information comes up.

Prefixing with /// really should work, as it is the way the standard library is documented. You can see an example of the source code here.

Oh my god - I didn’t realize that multi-line comments only show up when you click it! Thank you SO much!