How to remove the "R" symbol from the Rust symbol

So I have done all this.

What do I specifically select and ungroup?

When the extension draws the gear it draws two paths and groups them. When you select the gear look at the bottom. It will say "Group of two objects selected" or something similar. Ungroup the two paths.

It seems to be ungrouped already, or am I looking at something incorrectly?

If you've already ungrouped it, great.

Here's what I was able to get relatively quickly with the above method:

derustedlogo

And recreating the logo from scratch:
rerustedlogorustyrerustedlogo

2 Likes

Damn that looks great it looks just like the original.

I managed to remove the R:
Gear
I uploaded it as SVG here: https://ufile.io/dzmnc (the link expires in 30 days). Inkscapes gear tool doesn't resemble the original logo as closely.

In case you're interested, actix and xi-editor use a variation of the Rust logo in their logos.

1 Like

Thanks bro for that :slight_smile:

Just out of curiosity how did you manage to remove the "R" symbol mate?

How come the measurements are width: 142.184 height: 142.188, this means that this is not a perfect circle?

I inserted a smaller circle in the gear, and subtracted it from the path. Then I removed the unnecessary vertices and moved them around to form a circle.

In the process, the measurements must have changed somehow. I also noticed that the coordinates got more decimal places, which seems to be almost unavoidable when working with Inkscape.

1 Like

If you really need a perfect circle just make a circle the same size as the original logo and use it to clip your final result.

I found a way to remove the remove the R, without applying any transformations. The inner path is, except for the bulges, a near-perfect circle. The rest is identical to the original: Here's the new link.

Curious what your method was. Maybe: create an circle path the diameter of the inner circle of the gear shape. Duplicate it. Duplicate the gear shape and cut just one of the inner bulges from that.Subtract the circle from the gear. then apply duplicates of the bulge around the other inner circle and finally marry it all back together?

Actually, this time I deleted all the vertices of the R, until it looked like this:

rl

Then I opened the three sub-paths and merged them back together into one big sub-path. I'm not sure how these tools are called in English, but they're on these buttons:

tt

To get the circle shape, I just inserted a semi-transparent circle at the right position, and then moved the vertices and control points of the gear around until the paths aligned.

I noticed that Inkscape applies matrix transformations every time two paths are merged, subtracted, etc, which I wanted to avoid.

2 Likes

I changed the size anyways.

Can you upload it again (w/o R)(svg)?

Here's the link.

1 Like

Just curious how did you manage to remove the R logo as I could not figure it out lsat year?

Also did you use inkscape?

They mentioned it 4 comments up:

I believe so. That screenshot looks like the Inkscape toolbar, and Inkscape uses the same style of drawing nodes as grey squares tangential to the curve.

1 Like

Thank you so much !

1 Like