How to make a HTTP Get request with std

Hello;
I'm currently trying to make an HTTP request only using STD but all the resources I've found are outdated and 6 years old!
I don't understand why this is not working! This server uses Cloudflare and I get a 400 bad Request error.
(If I use a local server on Actix everything is fine)

fn req() -> std::io::Result<String> {
    let host = "api.mcalts.fr:2082";
    let path = "/v3/api/a/b/c";

let ip_lookup = host.to_socket_addrs()?.next().unwrap();

println!("{:?}", ip_lookup);

let mut socket = TcpStream::connect_timeout(&ip_lookup, Duration::from_millis(5000))?;

let mut headers = HashMap::new();
    headers.insert("Host", host);

let mut header = format!("GET {} HTTP/1.1\n{}\n\n",path,headers.iter().map(|(i,x)| format!("{}: {}",i,x)).collect::<Vec<_>>().join("\n"));
    println!("{}",header);
    socket.write(header.as_bytes());
    socket.flush();

let mut headers = String::new();
    socket.read_to_string(&mut headers)?;
    Ok(headers)
}

We should get OK 200 with invalid as text but Cloudflare seems to be blocking the request for no apparent reason. (This request works from a Rest Client or Web Browser).

Thanks for your help;
ccgauche.

The request would be malformed. HTTP headers must be separated with a CR LF (\r\n), not just \n.

If I use \r\n the request never ends and I don't know why

Do you also have a trailing \r\n\r\n? The server might be waiting for more input...

[quote="naim, post:4, topic:52496, full:true"]
Do you also have a trailing \r\n\r\n? The server might be waiting for more input...
[/quote]

The connection isn't closing since HTTP/1.1 allows multiple requests per connection. That's the reason read_to_string isn't returning.

Possible solutions:

1. Use read and handle the response as it is received, without waiting for EOF.
  2. Use HTTP/1.0, which doesn't support keep-alive and will terminate the connection.
  3. Add the Connection: close header, which will have the same behaviour of HTTP/1.0.
1 Like

Thanks this is now working

1 Like

Thanks this is now working

Which option did you try, out of the three suggested?

The second one

Thanks.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. We invite you to open a new topic if you have further questions or comments.