How to integrate Rust with Visual Studio 2019

I installed Rust Compiler as well as VS 2019 and the Rust ext for VS 2019 from the Microsoft Market place.

When I create a new project in VS 2019, it has no option for RUST project type. My question is how I can integrate Rust with VS 2019? What else is to be done please.

1 Like

I have the same needs as you. I use VSCode offline now, It works well.

1 Like

I tried this and the VS2017 plug in for VIsual Studio doesn't appear to work well with VS2019.
(I have 16.5.4 and 16.10.3 currently. ) I think that doing some digging into the VS2017 plug-in sources (if they are open source) one could determine what the plug-in "does" and then using C# code a VS2019 plug-in that works. So thats on my radar... but as a RUST newbie at the moment, I'm just starting via brute force. I use VS2019 as an EDITOR only (open folder technique), and this seems to work fine for edits. Then I run powershell for builds.

I find that name munging on our C/C++ API requires some tricks to get cargo to both link to native C/C++ API's and be called from a C/C++ main, but I have been able to create a "hello world" DLL in RUST that calls a native API with varargs to send messages and it's called from 'C'.
The fact that I'm able to get that far so soon, is really impressive.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. We invite you to open a new topic if you have further questions or comments.