cargo new game
it downloaded huge number crates
after that
cargo doc.. so on

after few dais I started this project again from beginning
cargo new game2..
downloading...
cargo doc... so on

Today I decided to erase the big (>500mb each) folders and during the process got warning: Several hard links link to this file. Wiping this file will void all files linking to it.
I have deleted its.

Are my rust system, cargo, systems ok now?

My be safe way is cargo clean, cargo liquidate or something that ?

If you delete a package directory, nothing outside that directory should be affected. In general, though, cargo clean deletes any downloaded dependencies or generated documentation.

1 Like

When you say "wiping", do you mean removing the files? Or overwriting them with some random data ("shredding", "wiping", "overwriting")?

If you overwrite files that are hard-linked, I think there might be a problem.

2 Likes

yes, "..overwriting them with some random data.."

Ah, I couldn't fathom why deleting a hard link would affect the other links. The cargo cache of downloaded dependencies could have been broken by that.

1 Like

The correct procedure is to use a non-shredding deletion tool. Additionally, such tools are largely obsolete on solid-state drives and you should stop trying to use them. (Use cycled encryption key technology instead.)

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. We invite you to open a new topic if you have further questions or comments.