How to convert a vector of strings into numbers

I am trying to create a reverse polish notation calculator. I am able to fill up a vector of strings but am unsure how to proceed.

For example: if I input 1 2 3 - - how do I fill a seperate Vec:i32 with 1 2 3?

use std::io::{stdin,stdout,Write};

fn main() {
    println!("Please enter your RPN to be calculated");

let mut Rpn_string: Vec<String> = Vec::new();

let mut buffer = String::new();

stdin().read_line(&mut buffer).expect("Failed to read");

for _ in 0..2{
    	let yo: String = buffer.parse().expect("Invalid string");
    	Rpn_string.push(yo);
    	buffer.clear();
    }
}
0 Likes

Why fill a separate one? You can change the existing Rpn_string into an Rpn_numbers, and declare it as a vector of 32-bit integers (or whatever kind of number you want).

fn main() {

let mut Rpn_numbers: Vec<i32> = Vec::new();

for _ in 0..2{
    	let yo = buffer.parse().expect("failed to convert the string into a number");
    	Rpn_numbers.push(yo);
    	buffer.clear();
    }
}

The parse() function is a generic function that converts a string into another data type; in this case, it converts the string into a number (while in your initial example, it converts the string into another string, essentially doing nothing).

0 Likes

Well the buffer string is also going to hold the operations. Will parse know just to grab the numbers and leave the operators alone? And if it does, how will I go about grabbing the required operators from the string.

To clarify my example, I am going to input something like “3 5 * 2 +” and I need to grab all the individuals pieces of that string.

0 Likes

Once you read the input into a String, split it on whitespace and then parse the individual tokens.

parse takes some type T that implements FromStr. You can use that to parse the integers. For operators, you can either assume that if an int parse fails it must be a token (naive but simple approach) or keep track of parse state as you go along and expect certain types based on the state.

0 Likes

Or assume that if it’s not a known operator it must be a number.

0 Likes

I am still having difficulty

use std::io::stdin;

fn main() {

let mut Rpn_string: Vec<&str> = Vec::new();

let mut main_stack: Vec<i32> = Vec::new();

let split = buffer.split_whitespace();

Rpn_string = split.collect();

for i in &Rpn_string{

let my_string = Rpn_string.pop();

if my_string == Some("+"){
    		println!("Found an operator");
    	}
    	else if my_string == Some("save"){
    		println!("Found a save");
    	} 
    	else if my_string == Some("restore"){
    		println!("Found a restore");
    	}
    	else {
    		let my_int: i32 = Rpn_string.pop().unwrap();
    		main_stack.push(my_int);
    	}
    }

So I get an error in my else, when I try to pop my vector it expects a type i32 but the vector is filled with strings. If i change the vector to be a vector of ints I am not sure how I can handle cases of the operators, as they are not ints and throw an error.

0 Likes

You need to call parse() to convert the string into an i32. Like let my_int: i32 = Rpn_string.pop().unwrap().parse().unwrap()

0 Likes

It seems you pop numbers twice? Or even three times? First you iterate over the elements of Rpn_string, so i will get each value. The you pop() a value into my_string(). Don’t this give a compilation error that you try to modify Rpn_string while it is borrowed? Then if the value is not an operator, you pop() again to get an integer. You should probably use my_string there?

Suggestion: Change the loop from for i in &Rpn_string() to while !Rpn_string.is_empty or use i instead of popping to my_string.

Addendum: You split the input string into words before you read it, you need to read first and then split.

0 Likes