How to build a programming language in rust

I cant seem to find tutorials on how to build a programming language in rust, I've been trying to write a lexer but I can't get it to work.

Strange question. I think you need to ask this question in another platform and forum.

No, this is not strange at all, this is perfectly acceptable, for this forum.

1 Like

The question is quite open ended (and writing a compiler or interpreter for a full-fledged programming language can be a large project). For lexing and parsing specifically, you could try looking up some popular libraries and see how their tutorials and examples feel. Off the top of my head...

2 Likes

Another rust project for parsing text...

Some useful resources are the Crafting Interpreters book and the cranelift-jit-demo repo. The demo project is written in Rust, so it's good for practical application. And the book should help with the more conceptual aspects of writing a language.

You asked specifically about writing a lexer, but there is a lot more to a language than just parsing text. That's why I've tried to answer the broader question of "how to build a programming language in Rust".

1 Like

Introduction - Writing Interpreters in Rust: a Guide (rust-hosted-langs.github.io)

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. We invite you to open a new topic if you have further questions or comments.