How do I run src/main.rs by default with cargo run?

Sorry for the rudimentary question.
When I run cargo run I get the following output.

āÆ cargo run
error: `cargo run` could not determine which binary to run. Use the `--bin` option to specify a binary, or the `default-run` manifest key.
Available binaries: async_await_basic, asynchronous, thread_and_async

I am instructed to specify the bin directory, but I want to run src/main.rs, so I investigated if the module structure is bad, but there is no module conflict.

Directory structure

perfect-rust/practice_collection/thread_and_async on ī‚  develop [!?] via šŸ¦€ v1.72.0 
āžœ tree
ā”œā”€ā”€ Cargo.toml
README.md
ā””ā”€ā”€ src
    ā”œā”€ā”€ basic.rs
    ā”œā”€ā”€ bin
    ā”‚ ā”œā”€ā”€ async_await_basic.rs
    ā”‚ ā””ā”€ asynchronous.rs
    ā”œā”€ cross_beam.rs
    ā”œā”€ā”€ exclusive_mutex.rs
    ā”œā”€ā”€ exclusive_rwlock.rs
    ā”œā”€ā”€ exclusive_shradelock.rs
    ā”œā”€ā”€ lib.rs
    ā”œā”€ā”€ main.rs
    ā”œā”€ messaging_crossbeam.rs
    ā”œā”€ messaging_std.rs
    ā””ā”€ task
        ā”œā”€ client.rs
        ā”œā”€ā”€ customer.rs
        ā”œā”€ā”€ mod.rs
        ā”œā”€ task_controller.rs
        ā””ā”€ writer.rs

If I set the default-run key in the Cargo.toml file to thread_and_sync, the cargo run works as expected.
I just don't understand why I have to set default-run to the above.

I am sorry, but could you please enlighten me on this point?

That's the answer to the question in your subject.[1]

You mean, why was it designed this way? Seems to be just how things happened. That issue is pretty old; not sure if making main.rs or name-of-package.rs the effectively default default-run has been discussed since then or not.

1. I'm assuming you mean thread_and_async, i.e. the name of the package. ā†©ļøŽ

1 Like

Thank you very much for your help due to my lack of knowledge, I have read the entire ISSUE and understand how this issue was resolved.
Thank you very much for your reply.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. We invite you to open a new topic if you have further questions or comments.