Hors - instant coding answers via the command line

Hors is mainly copy from howdoi. After one months’ developing, it’s almost feature complete.

It’s simple:

And quickly (when you have used hors search for question A, and you want to search for question for the same question A in the future, hors is likely to answer very quickly):

% time hors -a -n 3 -c "globle variable in rust"
hors -a -n 3 -c "globle variable in rust"  0.10s user 0.04s system 11% cpu 1.234 total

It’s my first project in rust, I hope it can be helpful and enjoyable.

For more usage information, please checkout github page.

6 Likes
  1. This is really cool. Thanks for creating/sharing it.

2. I clicked on the hors / howdoi links – but I couldn’t find this – where is the database of answers / code snippets stored?

3. (Completely serious, not joking) – anyone else believe something like this is how “software replaces programmers” starts ? It starts out as retrieving human written answers – then it’s only compilable answers – then it’s snippets of code from github – then it figures out how to combine snippets … :slight_smile:

Thank you very much! For your question:
I clicked on the hors / howdoi links – but I couldn’t find this – where is the database of answers / code snippets stored?
Hors is saving the human written answers(which lays in stackoverflow) in the local cache directory. Which is defined by current operation system.

Here is where cache saved:

Platform Value Example
Linux $XDG_CACHE_HOME or $HOME/.cache /home/alice/.cache
macOS $HOME/Library/Caches /Users/Alice/Library/Caches
Windows {FOLDERID_LocalAppData} C:\Users\Alice\AppData\Local

And howdoi is use something like this, it save results to $USER_CACHE_DIR/howdoi. So the cache it’s something like local database

Sorry – I poorly phrased my question. What I wanted to ask is not where this is stored locally – where on the internet is the archive of answers coming from? Is this a StackOverflow dump? Is there some public archive that people can submit snippets to?

I see :slight_smile:
The answers are all coming from StackOverflow.
It’s a StackOverflow dump for specific answer, hors will going to parse the dump and extract out user answers.