High-level applications written in and/or using Rust

I’ve been working on a high-level (i.e. runtime memory-managed and dynamically typed) language that compiles to/interops with Rust: Lia. I’ve developed most of the core language mechanics and want to test what it’s like to write code in Lia for some real applications. These could be any applications that benefit from being written in a high-level language, but preferably also benefit from dropping down to a low level for efficiency purposes. For example:

• Scientific/numeric computing using Lia as the formulae definition language and using Rust to do the heavy lifting
  • Implementing an efficient web server in Rust (e.g. hyper) and creating high-level bindings for Lia
  • Writing a MapReduce-style framework with a high-level streaming interface in Lia and parallel constructs in Rust

However, I post here to ask to the community: what’s an application that you’ve written in Rust where you wished you didn’t have to worry about lifetimes or static typing and yearned for your Python days? Have you ever wanted to throw performance to the wind and just write something as fast as possible while still using some of Rust’s features?

Do you get rid of borrowing and ownership? Or Lia still require understanding those concepts?

I see those as Rust’s biggest advantages, yet also the part that is trickest for new programmers.

Yes, Lia has runtime memory management (i.e. garbage collection), so no borrowing/ownership. I agree that it’s important for Rust to have compile-time memory management, but the choice should be left to the programmer as to whether they want to use a GC or not, so Lia allows them to make that choice.