Help with a lazy_static struct/method instance and access to its methods and fields

I am seeing the following errors

error[E0596]: cannot borrow data in a dereference of `tracker::TRACKER` as mutable
   --> src/lib.rs:832:5
    |
832 |     TRACKER.initialize();
    |     ^^^^^^^ cannot borrow as mutable
    |
    = help: trait `DerefMut` is required to modify through a dereference, but it is not implemented for `tracker::TRACKER`

error[E0596]: cannot borrow data in a dereference of `tracker::TRACKER` as mutable
   --> src/lib.rs:840:5
    |
840 |     TRACKER.file.flush().unwrap();
    |     ^^^^^^^^^^^^ cannot borrow as mutable
    |
    = help: trait `DerefMut` is required to modify through a dereference, but it is not implemented for `tracker::TRACKER`

TRACKER is defined as follows

pub struct Tracker {
    pub file: fs::File
}
lazy_static! {
    pub static ref TRACKER : Tracker = Tracker::new();
};

impl Tracker {
    pub fn new() -> Tracker {
        let file = fs::OpenOptions::new().create(true).append(true).open(WISKTRACK);
            let tracker = Tracker {
                file :  file,
            };
            tracker
        } else {
            errorexit!("Error opening track file: {}\n", WISKTRACK.as_str());
        }
    }

pub fn initialize(&mut self) {
        event!(Level::INFO, "Tracker Initialization:");
    }
}

But if the file is changed from File to BufWriter then I see errors above.

What is the rite way to do this, without locking to access/write to the file.

I want to define a structure Tracker, with some fields, one of them is File or BuffWriter.
The Stucture Tracker will have a few methods initialize(self), writeop(self), etc.

I want to define TRACKER:Tracker as lazy_static.

and I want to be able invoke
TRACKER.initialize();
and
TRACKER.reportop("some data to be written");

All methods on the Tracker must take &self, because you can only call &mut self methods on things that are not shared, and globals are shared. Luckily a File can be written to without mutable access, however this is not the case for a buffered writer. Thus you can use a File, but not a buffered file.

Alternatively, use Mutex<Tracker> as the global type. Locked Mutex gives you mutable access.