Help understanding compiler error "cannot move out of borrowed content"

I’m trying to learn rust for the nth time, and I’m having trouble understanding what the compiler is trying to tell me:

https://play.rust-lang.org/?gist=d9ad48f59313e3c61fcb96a467461f91

The second question I have: I’m assuming that the code I’m writing isn’t idiomatic rust, since I’m coming at it in a “C thinking” mode. Is there a way of writing it in a more idiomatic rust way?

Thanks!

The problem is that you don’t own the data you’re trying to consume. The problem is with this line:

let mut iter = self.node_list.into_iter();

into_iter's definition is fn into_iter(self) -> Self::IntoIter;. It consumes self and turns it into a Self::IntoIter. You can’t do this, because you don’t own self, you borrow it:

fn map_label(&self, lbl: &mut Label) {
             ^^^^^

Does this make sense so far?

Here is one option.

There are a few issues here:

1. some_value.field = another_value.field will attempt to move field from another_value unless the field is a Copy type. So I made your LabelType derive Copy. You can also make it derive just Clone, and then do some_value.field = another_value.field.clone().
  2. into_iter() is a consuming method - you’ll note that it takes self. But you can’t consume something if you don’t own it, and that’s the gist of your “cannot move out of borrowed content” - the compiler is trying to move, say, node_list out of Thing but you only have a borrow of Thing.
  3. map_labels and map_label cannot work as methods. map_labels needs to take a mutable borrow to self so it can in turn take a mutable borrow of Label. If you’re holding a mutable borrow of a Label, you cannot call another method on Thing while that mutable borrow is in scope. The compiler has no way of knowing that map_label accesses a disjoint set of fields in Thing. So in my example above, map_label is made into an associated function, and we pass it the &[Node] slice explicitly.

I’ll stop here and let you ask any questions up to this point.

I think the part I was missing is that into_iter consumes, it’s starting to make more sense now.

Thanks!