Help make this code compile

pub trait Fixed_Serde_Inner {
    const mem_size: usize;

fn write_to_mem<W: Write>(&self, writer: &mut [u8; Self::mem_size])
        -> Result<(), My_Serde_Err>;

fn read_from_mem<R: Read>(reader: &[u8; Self::mem_size]) -> Result<Self, My_Serde_Err>
    where
        Self: Sized;
}

Here is the intuition: any type that implements Fixed_Serde_Inner has the following property: there exists some fixed constant Self::mem_size which determines the space required to serialize the type.

Now, not all types can implement Fixed_Serde_Inner. For example, Vec<u8> can not while [u8; 4] and [u8; 8] can.

Question: how can I make the above code compile ?

The unstable #![feature(generic_const_exprs)] seems to work. It is marked as incomplete feature though.

If you're on nightly, you can use #![feature(generic_const_exprs)]. Follow this thread for updates on this feature.

Another solution suggested on the same thread is to use a const generic. Something like:

pub trait Fixed_Serde_Inner<const mem_size: usize> {
    fn write_to_mem<W: Write>(&self, writer: &mut [u8; mem_size])
        -> Result<(), My_Serde_Err>;

fn read_from_mem<R: Read>(reader: &[u8; mem_size]) -> Result<Self, My_Serde_Err>
    where
        Self: Sized;
}

This can be implemented on a type using:

impl Fixed_Serde_Inner<4> for [u8; 4] {
    // use `4` here instead of `mem_size`.
    fn write_to_mem<W: Write>(&self, writer: &mut [u8; 4]) -> Result<(), My_Serde_Err> {
    }

// use `4` here instead of `mem_size`.
    fn read_from_mem<R: Read>(reader:: &[u8; 4]) -> Result<Self, My_Serde_Err>
    where
        Self: Sized,
    {
    }
}

Notice that you need to repeat the constant many times in one impl if you're using this.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. We invite you to open a new topic if you have further questions or comments.