Gui development in rust

is it possible to develop gui using html css and rust since rust support web rendering engine

Technically yest - pobably the easies way by electron Building a fast Electron app with Rust. If you want to use servo for this, it would be difficult - servo is rendering engine, but it in general doesn't include a way to get back user input and handle it - its ment to be handled by JavaScript. I don't know about any succesfull attempt to use servo as GUI library. In general GUI in Rust is difficult topic, I personally would recommend delivering GUI via pure html/css/js, and communicating with Rust logic via web sockets. After all this may be converted into desktop application via electron.

I should note that users hate Electron apps for a good reason - you run browser copies for just a couple widgets. So if you do not despise your users, forcing them to buy more RAM for no reason - I would recommend to use proper frameworks:

2 Likes

Indeed there's a whole homepage about Rust and GUI devellopment. Maybe you should check it out.
In addition, there is a big topic about this, already.

Generally, as @XVilka mentioned there are a number of creates/frameworks for GUI development in Rust, already. None of them seams matrure, however.

The biggest problem is that most GUI-frameworks are heavily OOP, relying on inheritance which is hard to rebuilt in Rust and very unidiomatic.
Moreover, often pointer-cycles are used (parents have array of children; children have pointer to their parent) which is generally bad but worse in Rust (think of doubbly-linked lists :wink:).

4 Likes

so gtk+ will be good option since it is written in c language

I was going to link to the same mega-thread. But here's a list of the options from that thread which I feel are worth mentioning (again):

web-view provides the least friction, and is an excellent alternative to shipping all of Chromium+nodeJS (e.g. Electron).

azul and skryn are both based on webrender, but they are both in the very early stages of development.

imgui and nuklear are ideal for adding a GUI to games (since you're most likely already dealing directly with the GPU anyway).

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.