Guarantees on #[derive(Debug)]?

Are there any guarantees on the output of #[derive(Debug)] ?

1. Fix a compiler version. Is it guaranteed that the output of #[derive(Debug)] is the identical ?

2. Across compiler versions, is it guaranteed that the output of #[derive(Debug)] changes rarely, if at all ?

Well, the output of #[derive(Debug)] has got little to do with the compiler per-say. It is a proc-macro which on expansion call debug() on all the fields/variants. Only some of the root level "things", like u32 have a direct impl. Almost everything else is a derive. So, if:

• Some struct changes its Debug impl
  • Or the proc-macro is itself changed
    the output will change, otherwise not. Now I imagine that stdlib maintainers won't randomly go about changing it. But I don't think there are guarantees.

No.

7 Likes

Yes, it is deterministic.

No. In practice, it shouldn't change much, since for many types there's one main way to make a human-readable debugging output, but this isn't guaranteed.

1 Like

If you want something with a guarantee, I suggest using #[derive(Serialize)] from serde instead.

Then you can serialize to something like json or ron if you want programmer-readable versions of your data objects.

3 Likes

This is my fault for not being clear. The structs do not change. My only concern is the macro changing.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. We invite you to open a new topic if you have further questions or comments.