Git-journal: The Git Commit Message and Changelog Generation Framework

Hey rustaceans! :slight_smile:

I just like to mention my current rust project git-journal, which tries to solve problems when generating a changelog from the git commit history. I am trying to generate more ideas about related problems which could be solved by such a project. What do you think? :blush:

Any feedback is desirable. :sunny: Thank you!

I just released version 0.2.0 with some enhancements:

• Added footer accumulation including templating support
    • Added configuration option enable_footers
    • Improved documentation about it
    • Improved unit tests to increase test coverage
  • Improved internal code structure by reorganizing traits
  • Changed travis to run code coverage only on nightly builds

This looks really neat. I’m going to definitely see if this would work well for me.

Thank you for the feedback! :slight_smile: For version 0.3.0 I had to change the templating engine a bit to keep the order of the sections in a correct way.

I think this has some overlap with semantic-rs, have you had a look at that?

Good hint, thank you. I will have a deeper look at it but for now I think the scope is just a bit different. Maybe both projects could benefit from each other.

Version 0.5.0 (released today) adds rayon multiprocessing support and custom footers and headers to the templating engine. Feedback appreciated. :slight_smile: Thank you very much! :sunny:

This is very cool! I’ve been using clog for most of my projects thus far. This looks like it does a good bit more, which is awesome.

The one thing I couldn’t find, that I’d really like is how clog links your “Fixes #2” to actual issues in your repo which makes it very easy while going through a changelog and seeing what all the fuss was about. It also links each message to an actual commit link in a repo which is nice for the same reasons.

I’m going to start playing with git-journal and see how it goes! :slight_smile:

Thank you for the feedback! Yes such a “linking feature” is not implemented yet. But it is a good point, I will put it on the list. To make it generic a URL pattern for issues could be set, which are then linked agains the issue keys. :clap:

I just added such a commit message linking functionality to the current release. Since github already links issues and commit hashes it should work as intended. :smile: