Generic Db Pool for configurable app

I’m working on a web application / server using actix where I want to support multiple database types through a toml config for people deploying the application as well as simplify development by using a SQLite database locally and Postgres or MySQL in production (or SQLite if that’s your thing).

My issue is that I need to wrap an r2d2 Pool in the actix state and I haven’t quite wrapped my head around Traits and generics enough to see a way to clearly implementing this.

I have a state struct like so

pub struct AppState {
    pub template: tera::Tera,
    pub db: DbPool,
}

And DbPool is intented to provide a wrapper around the r2d2 pool connection (or other type of connection manager):

pub enum DbPoolType {
    Pg,
    Sqlite,
    MySql,
}

pub struct DbPool {
    pub pool_pg: Option<PgPool>,
    pub pool_sqlite: Option<SqlitePool>,
    pub pool_type: DbPoolType,
}

To speed things up for now (and so that I don’t have to implement a translation layer between the different databases) i’m implementing traits on my models which handle the different database types, it’s a lot of code to write but I don’t have time to figure out how to translate between the different Db types at the moment (and I don’t want to use an ORM / Diesel / Rustorm):

// models/some_model.rs
use traits::Queryable;

pub struct SomeModel {
    pub uuid: String,
}

impl Queryable<SqliteConnection> for SomeModel {
    type Result = Result<SomeModel, Error>;

fn get_by_id(conn: SqliteConnection, id: String) -> Self::Result {
         // get the model
    }
}

// api/some_models.rs
use models::SomeModel;
use traits::Queryable;

pub fn get_stuff_by_id(req: &HttpRequest<AppState>) -> Result<HttpResponse, Error> {
     let conn = req.state().db.get_conn();

let result = SomeModel::get_by_id(&conn).unwrap();

// Return the result
}

What I’m confused about is at the DbPool layer what the path forward should be there in order to allow places like the api endpoint above to just call get_conn to get a connection off the pool to use during the request.

I’ve tried implementing DbPool as a generic:

pub struct DbPool<T> {
    pub pool: T,
}

impl<T> DbPool<T> {
    pub fn get_conn(&self) -> ? {
         match self.pool_type {
               DbPoolType::Pg {
                    self.pool_slqite.unwrap().get().unwrap()
               }
               _ => {}
         }
    }
}

But i’m sort of at a loss what to do here in order to accomplish what I want… Any pointers and help would be greatly appreciated or if there is an application with a similar structure where it supports multiple database types post-compilation.