Future returned by run_consumer() is not Send

Quite new to asynchronous programming, and I can't wrap my head around this compiler error:

`future returned by \`run_consumer` is not `Send``

`|`

`= help: the trait \`Sync` is not implemented for `dyn consumer::Consumer``

`note: future is not \`Send` as this value is used across an await`

`--> src/consumer/mod.rs:30:31`

`|`

`30 | consumer.consume(html).await;`

`| -------- ^^^^^^ await occurs here, with \`consumer` maybe used later`

`| |`

`| has type \`&dyn consumer::Consumer` which is not `Send``

I get the error when doing the following in my main.rs:

`let tokio_runtime = Builder::new_multi_thread().enable_all().build().unwrap();`
`// Start the consumer`
`tokio_runtime.spawn(async move { run_consumer(result_receiver, true) });`

What are the potential solutions here? Moreover, why do I get the error in the first place ?

Your equivalent SO post: rust - Future returned by run_consumer() is not Send - Stack Overflow was closed because it needs more details. Without the body of run_consumer we don't know why your future isn't send/why you can't use consumer across await points. So if you could provide a minimal reproducible example, it would greatly enhance our ability to help you and consequently your chances of getting a satisfying solution for your problem.

Trait objects don't automatically expose Send/Sync impls. It looks like you're holding a reference to a trait object across an await point, which means the trait object needs to explicitly be dyn consumer::Consumer + Sync

Thanks for taking the time out. This worked!

Apologies if the question seemed lacking in detail. Luckily I still managed to get an answer from the good people in TRPL discord server. Thanks for all your help!

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. We invite you to open a new topic if you have further questions or comments.