Function to build an Iterator cannot move internal state for caller to own

I want to be able to have a function that creates an Iterator from chaining a few combinators together, but I can't figure out how to get it to work without the compiler complaining about an intermediate iterator being dropped after the function returns. I have gotten around it by returning a Vec of the appropriate length instead of the Iterator, but I have recently hit a bottleneck where it allocates too much memory up front for what I'm doing. Here's the original Vec implementation:

/// Makes a sequence of numbers like this:
///
/// 1: [1, 0, -1, 0, 1, 0, -1, 0]
/// 2: [0, 1, 1, 0, 0, -1, -1, 0]
/// 3: [0, 0, 1, 1, 1, 0, 0, 0]
/// ...
pub fn base_pattern(ith_element: usize, len: usize) -> Vec<i32> {
    let base: Vec<i32> = vec![0, 1, 0, -1];
    let expanded: Vec<i32> = base
        .iter()
        .map(|e| {
            let mut v = Vec::new();
            v.resize(ith_element as usize, e);
            v
        })
        .flat_map(|e| e.clone())
        .cloned()
        .collect();
    expanded.iter().cycle().skip(1).take(len).cloned().collect()
}

I thought I could return an impl Iterator<Item = i32> and have the sequence of numbers be lazily generated as they needed like this:

pub fn base_pattern(ith_element: usize, len: usize) -> impl Iterator<Item = i32> {
    let base: Vec<i32> = vec![0, 1, 0, -1];
    let expanded: Vec<i32> = base
        .iter()
        .map(|e| {
            let mut v = Vec::new();
            v.resize(ith_element as usize, e);
            v
        })
        .flat_map(|e| e.clone())
        .cloned()
        .collect();
    expanded.iter().cycle().skip(1).cloned()
}

However, expanded will be dropped before the iterator is returned:

error[E0597]: `expanded` does not live long enough
  --> src/lib.rs:15:5
   |
3  | pub fn base_pattern(ith_element: usize, len: usize) -> impl Iterator<Item = i32> {
   |                                                        ------------------------- opaque type requires that `expanded` is borrowed for `'static`
15 |     expanded.iter().cycle().skip(1).cloned()
   |     ^^^^^^^^ borrowed value does not live long enough
16 | }
   | - `expanded` dropped here while still borrowed

When I lookup rustc --explain E0597 I get an explanation that suggests I 'just remove the scope' so I believe my design of this must be all wrong, as I have painted myself into a borrow-checked corner.

How can I keep the implementation of this iterator separate from the rest of my code without inlining this where it's used?

Rust Playground Link

When calling iter on a Vec you borrow the vector. You can use into_iter to make an iterator that owns the vector.