Forwarding a reqwest bytestream in a Rocket response without copying

I would like to create an endpoint in Rocket that forwards a bytestream from a reqwest response to the client. I have some trouble figuring out how to manage this. Particularly, the ByteStream! macro is a bit confusing to me in the documentation, I don't really know what its parameter is supposed to be and what it expands to. My code currently:

#[get("/github/<org>/<repo>/<sha>")]
async fn grab(org: String, repo: String, sha: String) -> ByteStream![Vec<u8>] {
  if let Ok(res) = reqwest::get(format!("https://github.com/{}/{}/archive/{}.tar.gz", org, repo, sha)).await {
    res.bytes_stream()
  }
}

This results in

error[E0308]: mismatched types
   --> src/main.rs:13:5
    |
13  |     res.bytes_stream()
    |     ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ expected struct `ByteStream`, found opaque type
    |
   ::: /home/tamas/.cargo/registry/src/github.com-1ecc6299db9ec823/reqwest-0.11.4/src/async_impl/response.rs:314:34
    |
314 |     pub fn bytes_stream(self) -> impl futures_core::Stream<Item = crate::Result<Bytes>> {
    |                                  ------------------------------------------------------ the found opaque type
    |
    = note:   expected struct `ByteStream<_>`
            found opaque type `impl rocket::futures::Stream`

Which is not surprising, but I'm stuck on how to convert between the two types (ideally while also avoiding copying. Any pointers? (no pun intended)

I think res.bytes_stream().into() will work. Rocket's ByteStream has an impl From<S> for ByteStream<S> where S: Stream. As return type you will have to use impl Responder I think. You need ByteStream<whatever the return type of `res.byte_stream()` is>. This type is not writable due to reqwest returning an impl Stream<_>, so you need to return the opaque type impl Responder which I think is the exact trait #[get] expects the function return type to implement.

Thanks, that seems to work. However, I don't know what to return when the query fails. I tried wrapping the return type in Option (which seems to be idiomatic in Rocket), but that doesn't work.

Try to keep the return type the same, but still return an option. I think this would work:

#[get("/github/<org>/<repo>/<sha>")]
async fn grab(org: String, repo: String, sha: String) -> impl Responder {
  if let Ok(res) = reqwest::get(format!("https://github.com/{}/{}/archive/{}.tar.gz", org, repo, sha)).await {
    Some(ByteStream(res.bytes_stream()))
  } else {
    None
  }
}

Note: I switched from res.bytes_stream().into() to ByteStream(res.bytes_stream()) as I am not sure if type inference would break otherwise ByteStream is the type rocket::response::stream::ByteStream here.

That results in

Compiling zustad-server v0.1.0 (/home/tamas/projects/rust/zustad/zustad-server)
error[E0726]: implicit elided lifetime not allowed here
  --> zustad-server/src/main.rs:11:63
   |
11 | async fn grab(org: String, repo: String, sha: String) -> impl Responder {
   |                                                               ^^^^^^^^^- help: indicate the anonymous lifetimes: `<'_, '_>`
   |
   = note: assuming a `'static` lifetime...

error[E0277]: the trait bound `Result<rocket::http::hyper::Bytes, reqwest::Error>: AsRef<[u8]>` is not satisfied
  --> zustad-server/src/main.rs:11:58
   |
   |                                                          ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ the trait `AsRef<[u8]>` is not implemented for `Result<rocket::http::hyper::Bytes, reqwest::Error>`
   |
   = note: required because of the requirements on the impl of `Responder<'_, '_>` for `ByteStream<impl rocket::futures::Stream>`
   = note: 1 redundant requirements hidden
   = note: required because of the requirements on the impl of `Responder<'static, 'static>` for `std::option::Option<ByteStream<impl rocket::futures::Stream>>`

error[E0759]: `__req` has lifetime `'__r` but it needs to satisfy a `'static` lifetime requirement
  --> zustad-server/src/main.rs:11:58
   |
10 | #[get("/github/<org>/<repo>/<sha>")]
   | ------------------------------------ this data with lifetime `'__r`...
   |                                                          ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ ...is captured and required to live as long as `'static` here

Some errors have detailed explanations: E0277, E0759.
For more information about an error, try `rustc --explain E0277`.
warning: `zustad-server` (bin "zustad-server") generated 2 warnings
error: could not compile `zustad-server` due to 3 previous errors; 2 warnings emitted

Sorry to just paste the error here, this is a bit over my head. I tried adding the lifetimes as the error suggested but that did't work either.

It seems like the main complaint is that the byte arrays are wrapped in a Result, but rocket wants the stream item type to just be the byte array without a result. I'm not sure what you should do with the errors though.

That appears to be the case, but I don't see what actually has a Result type in that expression.