src/lib.rs
tests
tests/atest.rs

and I have a Cargo.toml that looks like this:

[package]
name = "my-problem"
version = "0.1.0"
edition = "2021"
exclude = ["tests/*"] # <<< tests directory is excluded from packaging...

[dependencies]

[[test]]
name = "atest" # <<< but my integration test has a deliberate entry

If I run cargo package, I get this error:

❯ cargo package --allow-dirty
warning: manifest has no description, license, license-file, documentation, homepage or repository.
See https://doc.rust-lang.org/cargo/reference/manifest.html#package-metadata for more info.
   Packaging my-problem v0.1.0 (/Users/ken.swanson/test/my-problem)
   Verifying my-problem v0.1.0 (/Users/ken.swanson/test/my-problem)
error: failed to verify package tarball

Caused by:
  failed to parse manifest at `/Users/ken.swanson/test/my-problem/target/package/my-problem-0.1.0/Cargo.toml`

Caused by:
  can't find `atest` test at `tests/atest.rs` or `tests/atest/main.rs`. Please specify test.path if you want to use a non-default path.

The problem seems to be the explicit [[test]] target for atest in Cargo.toml; if that section is removed, then cargo build, cargo test, and cargo package all work as expected; it's only when explicitly trying to specify the test that package fails.

Is there any way to tell Cargo not to check for the existence of a target (i.e., [[test]]) when packaging?

The reason I ask is that I'm publishing a new version of a crate with features, and we moved some of our tests behind those features, so I added [[test]] entries to our Cargo.toml with required-features entries to make those tests compile correctly. I suspect our answer will be to just remove the tests directory from our list of excludes but I wanted to check for all options.

Include the tests in the package.

This doesn't just solve your problem, it helps the ecosystem:

• Someone having unusual trouble using your package (perhaps with a newer version of rustc or your dependencies than existed when you published it) can run the tests and confirm that they in fact pass (or don't).
  • Crater will run your tests, helping validate future Rust versions. (It might already be finding your public repository if you have one, though.)
2 Likes

I understand that that's the best solution, and it is what I ended up doing; but if I didn't want to include the test in the package, is there a way around this?

You could put all the actual test code in modules and exclude those files, but not the tests/atest/main.rs root file.

Hrm...that's an interesting thought.

In the end I got the okay to just include the tests, but I'll keep that in mind. Thanks!

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. We invite you to open a new topic if you have further questions or comments.