Error when trying to install rust on ubuntu 18.04 for windows subsystem

every time i try to install rust using ubuntu 18.04 i get an error:

curl: (35) OpenSSL SSL_connect: SSL_ERROR_SYSCALL in connection to sh.rustup.rs:443

i cant find an answer really on the net, some help would be much appreciated.

I couldn’t reproduce your error, but if you have connection issues on the automatic installer, you can try using a standalone installer, in your case that would be x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu.

In WSL’s bash, you go to the folder containing the file, extract it, and run the installer:

$ cd /mnt/c/Users/USERNAME/Downloads
$ tar -xvzf rust-1.35*
  # ...
$ cd rust-1.35*/
$ sudo ./install.sh
  # ...
  • where USERNAME must be replaced by your Windows’ username;

• rust-1.35* by the name of the downloaded file.

sorry to bother again, so what i am trying to do is install Jormungandr from the cardano group, doing this method has changed around the instruction a little it has thrown me off a little the next i should input is
$ rustup install stable

the reference video is here thanks for the help.

There should not be a space between $HOME/ and .cargo/env:

source $HOME/.cargo/env

If, afterwards, cargo -V does work, then all you have to do is make the source command “permanent” by adding the command to the ~/.bashrc file, for instance with:

echo 'source ~/.cargo/env' >> ~/.bashrc

thank you for the help, i migrated this project to my older computer and it is working just fine, linux really doesn’t want to work with my new rig ubuntu for windows and the stand alone os both are having major problems when i try to use them my 5 yr old system is working just fine though, again i appreciate the help have a nice day.

1 Like