Error: implementation of an `unsafe` method

I try to build a package's dependency replaced as local dependency (via path) for development:

[dependencies]
egui = { version = "0.18.0", path = "../egui", default-features = false, features = [
  "tracing",
] }
winit = { version = "0.26.1", path = "../../winit" }

During the build of egui-winit it then produces a large chunk of errors (in total 215)

Compiling winit v0.26.1 (/home/timo/git-repos/programming/rust/winit)
error: implementation of an `unsafe` method
   --> /home/timo/git-repos/programming/rust/winit/src/event.rs:550:5
    |
550 | /     pub const unsafe fn dummy() -> Self {
551 | |         DeviceId(platform_impl::DeviceId::dummy())
552 | |     }
    | |_____^
    |
    = note: requested on the command line with `-D unsafe-code`

error: implementation of an `unsafe` method
  --> /home/timo/git-repos/programming/rust/winit/src/platform_impl/linux/wayland/mod.rs:25:5
   |
25 | /     pub const unsafe fn dummy() -> Self {
26 | |         DeviceId
27 | |     }
   | |_____^

It is either implementation of an unsafe method, usage of an unsafe block or declaration of an unsafe function.

When I remove the local dependency (remove path = ../../winit) and try to build egui-winit, it builds.
When I try to build winit directly, it also builds.

I haven't dealt with unsafe before and I don't really understand how to tackle the problem.

What command are you running to build the package? The error message suggests that unsafe code has been disabled:

note: requested on the command line with `-D unsafe-code`
1 Like

I just used cargo build. Do I have to explicitly allow it? Or is there somewhere in the codebase an option where unsafe-code is explicitly rejected?

I think I found the issue. Are you building your package inside the outer egui directory? Because the workspace has a .cargo/config.toml file with the -Dunsafe_code flag:

The solution is to build your package outside of egui.

1 Like

Thanks!

I also found a mistake (?) from my side. As I said, I want to set up a dependency for development i.e. I want to have a local version of winit which I can use in a more highlevel application.

What I did before (producing the unsafe errors):

[dependencies]
egui = { version = "0.18.0", path = "../egui", default-features = false, features = [
  "tracing",
] }
winit = { version = "0.26.1", path = "../../winit" }

what I could do as well:

[dependencies]
  "tracing",
] }
winit = { version = "0.26.1" }

[patches.crates-io]
winit = { path = "../../winit" }

What is the preferred solution for my setup? With the latter one cargo build just works out of the box where I don't have to care about flags. Sorry for the noob questions, I'm quite new when it comes to these setups

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. We invite you to open a new topic if you have further questions or comments.