Easy to use web server side framework for beginners? I'm trying to create a GraphQL server and I need help

I'm having a hard time getting started with a project I want to do. I'm not sure what I'm doing and there aren't many tutorials out there that talk about how to use any web framework.

For the moment I'm just trying to create a simple GraphQL server with Juniper. I can't seem to get the hang of it, I tried using Warp, but I've been stuck like the whole day, I'm really not sure what I'm doing.

I've used actix-web before, but from what I hear that's not being supported anymore. Rocket uses nightly, and I don't want to go that route, although Rocket seems like the easiest option. I still don't know what I'm doing with Juniper, there are all sorts of examples out there, some of them use macros, others use a more manual approach.

Is there a tutorial around somewhere or a simpler framework to use? I really want to do this with Rust, I've been learning the language for a while now, and I thought it was appropriate for this. My plan B was using C#, but I don't want to go there. I'd rather be less productive with Rust instead.

Any suggestions are appreciated.

I'm not aware of any such tutorials. As I a beginner to Rust a few months back one of the first things I needed was a Rust web server for our new back end API server so I spent a while searching around already.

I settled on Rocket. Mostly after finding these great presentations on it:

Building Rocket by Sergio Benitez

"Code Generating a Safer Web with Rocket" by Sergio Benitez

I would urge you to soften your stance on using nightly for this one particular case because:

Rocket has proven fairly easy to work with after a little familiarization with Rust.
It has very good documentation.
It has been working reliably in production for us for months now.
The fact that it depends on nightly has not caused us any issues.

1 Like

Yes, I settled on Rocket. I still don't like using nightly, but it seems that Rocket is on its way out of that. From what I hear 0.5 will compile on stable.

I figured out how to use it, and everything seems good now. The other frameworks are missing tutorials, though I'm sure they will get better, I get the feeling Warp is becoming very popular. Actix used to be great, but I think it doesn't receive support anymore.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.