Does rust really need higher kinded types?

I find it interesting to consider where the limitations are, and the point of this was to discuss HKT (and HRT as I got those mixed up having two conversations at the same time). I am a little concerned that HKT or HRT will mess up monomorphisation, which is nicely modelled in Rust by using parametric (not universally quantified) types and traits/type-classes.

fn next<'a>(&'a mut self) -> Option<Self::Item<'a>>;

My understanding is that the parameterised type "Self::Item<_>" must use the type parameter, and it is an error to pass a parameter to a type that does not need one, and it is an error to create a type that takes a parameter and ignores it. Are you saying this is not true? Do you have an example?

I find the inclusion of subtyping for lifetimes to be somewhat problematic, parametric polymorphism for lifetimes would seem to be more in line with the rest of the type system.

Edit: I see what you are saying regarding subtyping, but Self::Item<'static> would still need a reference in that type to be assigned the 'static lifetime. So I agree its slightly more flexable, but the code I posted should allow map and other filters to be defined.

You're right about the type needing the parameter, yes.

I don't have enough implementation experience to say whether or how HKT will work itself out, my main concern is the complexity that it will add to the language itself and the corresponding libraries that leverage its power.

It's hard to see the syntax for HKT in Rust because you want the constructor (which comes before the parameters) to be a parameter. So:

f(x : Vec<Int>)    // vector of ints
f<A>(x : Vec<A>)   // type parameter
f<A>(x : A<Int>)   // constructor parameter

The last of these is higher-kinded. I don't see how the example you gave is HKT, as there is no constructor parameter. It seems to me there is an implicit requirement for higher-ranked-types in there as well, and there is also some implicit universal quantification going on in Item, which you probably don't want as the default as it would change the meaning of existing programs.

I have a little trouble following these threads, because people get a bit prolix, but I believe you're referring to this trait definition:

trait StreamingIterator {
    type Item;
}

The associated type operator Item has the kind lifetime -> type. Item is applied to the lifetime 'a in its use during the next function, to create the type Item<'a>.

Obviously the syntax for declaring the "associated type operator" here is a bit dubious, but we have no syntax for this feature because this feature is not implemented!

Some of my own opinions about HKTs in Rust follow.

• It is interesting that Rust has two base kinds, type and lifetime. It introduces questions about making higher-kinded polymorphism practical, as in my next bullet point.
  • The most serious outstanding questions about higher-kinded polymorphism in Rust have to do with how partial application would be handled, because currying is probably not a sufficient answer; there's a comment from Niko Matsakis about this somewhere which is enlightening.
  • lifetime -> type associated type operators like StreamingIterator are the only use case for higher-kinded polymorphism I've seen that are uniquely useful for Rust; they also raise less implementation challenges than full-on higher-kinded polymorphism. The other use cases are just the standard Haskell/Scala Monad/Applicative/Functor chainsaw, which is powerful but empirically difficult pedagogically for many programmers. I think working on the minimal proposal for associated type operators would be a good use of someone's time.
2 Likes

Okay I see where this came from now: " & " is a constuctor of kind " lifetime -> * -> * " and could be perhaps be written " Ref 'a b " in a more Haskell like way where constructors are capitalised and type variables a lower case (and borrowing the single quote prefix from Rust for a lifetime variable). " * " is traditional for the kind of a type, you might use " & " for the kind of a lifetime. So you would probably want to write something like:

trait StreamingIterator {
    type Item<'a>;
}

impl StreamingIterator {
    type Item<'a> = &'a i32;
}

So we require a type constructor with a lifetime parameter for Item, and we provide it by parameterising the implementation by a lifetime variable. Now I can understand what is going on :slight_smile:

This works:

type Test<'a> = &'a i32;

fn test1<'a>(x : Test<'a>) -> Test<'a> {
    x
}

fn main() {
    println!("{}", test1(&42));
}

So it needs a way to have a higher kinded type as an associated type, it doesn't require full HKT as you don't need to pass the constructor to a function.

Yes. "Higher-kinded type" is actually a very vague, confusing and even just wrong terminology. There are a couple specific forms of polymorphism over type operators that Rust does not have, some of which could be useful without implementing the others.

2 Likes

What about abstraction over Rc<T>, Arc<T>, Box<C> etc? Rust's another unique point is the diversity of polymorphic types that are used for memory handling. I know little about the workarounds, but I'd imagine HKT would be a boon for writing functions that are polymorphic over the pointer types.

2 Likes

Does Rust need another mechanism to do this when it has traits? For example the Deref operator '*' is a trait function that abstracts over all reference types, and can be extended to dereference any container that might be written in the future.

Ah, yeah, this was basically a brainfart, of course traits (and generic impls) help with simple cases. I was trying to bring up something like this, from Gankro's impressive(ly long) blog post: The Many Kinds of Code Reuse in Rust

3 Likes

You're right. Providing better abstractions over different ownership shapes is a use case for higher-kinded polymorphism that is specific to Rust and not that hard to 'grok' for most people. I think they're a less pressing need than StreamingIterator-style interfaces, but they are still very useful.

2 Likes

Thanks for sharing this! I was trying to do precisely this type of thing to abstract over mutable/non-mutable references to resolve my initial question in DRYing nearly identical implementations for &T and &mut T and gave up. Gankro's trick of separating out a LifetimeToType<'a> trait (effectively, separating out parametrization by T and by 'a into orthogonal entities) was the trick I failed to figure out (why that's needed is better seen by trying to implement it oneself). Nice!

Edit: Except, disappointingly, he still had 3 implementations — one for each Iter type, whereas, I was trying to have exactly one for &T and &mut T that was parametrized over the Ref type. This requires additional abstraction over, say, as_ref for the former and as_mut for the latter. But Gankro is demonstrating allowing other types of reference types with the same iterator trait — still very neat!

I presume you know that subtyping requires that per-class type parameters (e.g. class Foo<A>) respect some variance rules dictated by the Liskov Substitution Principle (LSP). This doesn't apply to per-method type parameters (e.g. fn foo<A>). The class type parameters must be declared invariant, covariant, or contravariant (or this can be inferred from their unambiguous usage as follows), which then controls what subtyping is allowed on the class and in which positions input/output the class type parameters are allowed to appear.

Rust doesn't support any subtyping, but I believe this is problematic for composability because without subtyping it is impossible to populate a Collection<T> with elements of type T which are first-class unions (aka disjunctions); thus afaik it becomes impossible to add new types to the union employing the method of the Collection which appends/inserts an element short of making an entirely new copy of the Collection. I am very curious to hear how you can handle this in Rust and Haskell without violating DRY boilerplate, because afaik it is impossible. And I suspect this problem may leak into everything. I am awaiting for feedback on how this already handled.

Afaics, the higher-kinds in Haskell are the same as in a language with subtyping, with the only difference being for subtyping the per-class type parameters have a variance declaration and thus can't be used into both input and output locations on a method (but no limitations on functions which are not methods nor on per-method type parameters). Afaik in Haskell at type parameters are always invariant.

As you know and in response to some of the other comments I've read in this thread, afaik the term "higher-kinded type" (HKT) always has the same meaning, which the parametrization of a parametrized type constructor. So if the parametrization of a named (not generic) type is not a HKT. The parametrization of a generic type is a HKT.

Afaik, higher-ranked types (HRT) are multifarious binding of the type parameter separately for each use within a function, instead of one subsumed type binding for all uses.

Edit: afaik it is possible to have subtyping without subclassing. The latter is an anti-pattern because it enables/encourages breaking the invariants of LSP; whereas, afaics the former can be sound and as explained above is necessary for DRY composability.

And example of subtyping which is not subclassing is the example I mentioned above where adding an element of type E to for example Array<T> will have a result type of Array<T \/ E>. Assuming the element type of the Array is covariant, then we can see that result type is covariant in the output position. Subclassing would be the coercion of MyArray<T> to Array<T>. The coercion of Array<T \/ E> to Array<T> is not subclassing and only subtyping.

Why are you using iterators and not Enumerable?

Although I initially thought @keean's point about using iterators with coroutines overruled my objection they are too low-level, it seems on further analysis, my first intuitions may be correct.

I disagree. I have done a lot of Haskell programming and the kind of collection interfaces you propose are less generic, and less useful than the C++ STL, which is really the most well thought through collection library any language has. There are of course a few design decisions that could be improved in retrospect, but most of those are dealt with in "Elements of Programming".

Your analysis of Collection<T> seems wrong as you can have a collection of a trait object, for example Collection<&Readable> would allow any readable object to be inserted. You can even declare Readable for built-in types or types from other modules.

Variance rules are a bad thing to require, and another reason not to like subtyping. Haskell's approach with invariant types (we statically determine them at compile time) is what allows Rust to monomorphise code and achieve 'C' levels of performance. Traits (type classes) avoid the need for variances in runtime polymorphism by employing the same existential quantification method as Haskell in trait objects.

As for HKT, parameterization of a parameterized type seems an odd way to think about it, as it is simply a type constructor (or partially applied type constructor). For example, if Vec<A> is a parameterised type, Vec is an ordinary type, and Vec is a "constructor function" taking one argument. We can give this the kind "type -> type". Traditionally we write type "" in kind signatures, so that becomes " -> ". If types are the only kinds supported by our system then "" is a simple kind, and any kind signature with an arrow in (like the one for the Vec type constructor) is higher kinded. In Rust lifetime variables are a different kind of type level object, so a reference type constructor has kind "lifetime -> * -> *" but lifetime is optional so it has an overloaded kind signature with either 1 or 2 parameters (which I find a bit ugly considering Rust restricts value level function overloading with traits).

I don't understand your question. Perhaps you could show some Rust code.

2 Likes

Note the reply to @keean is obtained by reading the other thread.

It is more of abstract consideration, as explained in a post in the other thread.

An iterator is a point sampler. An enumeration operates on a range is more high-level and thus has more information to optimize with and apparently then you can invert the control, so that the resource lifetime is encapsulated in the enumerable methods, not needing to use low-level tsuris of Rust lifetime typing. I may be mistaken, but that is the intuition I have thus far and the direction I will initially be pursuing.

@keean postulates that iterators are more composable but I am thinking that no algorithms really operate on point samples, so I can't imagine an iterator is ever the most efficient abstraction. I may be wrong about that. I haven't studied it yet.

Rust will apparently need HKT if it implements my proposal:

This is still going to be problematic. Any time you have a loop that modifies a container, the program will not type check without subtyping on union types, and even then will require finding the fixed point of the collection type. If there are multiple branches through the program it will have to merge the types from each possible branch into the fixed point calculation. Whether this type system would be sound is uncertain, so would require proof.

I am still not sure what problem you are trying to fix, as in I don't really see how this union of all types in the collection is any better than a boxed trait. Yes you save having to define all the types that are a member of that "big" trait, and you can check the specific trait memberships on entry to functions, but I am not sure this is a big saving in boilerplate. I don't think this is DRY, because you are not repeating this list of traits, but I will admit it is a form of boilerplate.

However the Rust approach is to explicitly write types and traits (it only has local type inference). Haskell can infer function types and traits/type-classes automatically. In Haskell if you write a function that uses "get_area" it knows to add the HasArea requirement to the inferred type signature of the function. Rust could do this too if they wanted (inferring trait bounds is a lot simpler than type inference) and only require annotation in the case of a trait function name abiguity. It seems to me Rusts decision to require function type signatures with traits results in far more boilerplate than listing the traits for a runtime polymorphic collection, so of you wanted to reduce boilerplate then that would be the first thing to change.

I think infact there is a simpler solution, and that is to allow new trait bounds to be added to traits, that would solve the expression "problem" (I don't really think it's much of a problem) in the same way without changing the type system.

extend Shape : HasHeight

This would have to be scope limited (say to the current module) but would force all types in Shape to also implement HasHeight, so all functions in this module can use the HasHeight trait functions on members of a collection of boxed shapes. This would achieve the same thing you want without introducing union types, or a global hash or anything like that.

The remaining problem is that we don't know all the types that implement Shape, so we cannot check all the members of Shape implement Height, even though we could provide local impl of HasHeight for each type here in this module the compiler cannot know we have got them all, because some other module could put types in Shape the source of which is not available to the compiler. Maybe this could be checked at linktime depending on what the header information stored during separate compilation is. It might be worth finding this out as a next step. Finally the worst case is a runtime check, which I think would put most people off the idea.

What is missing in all of this are some good motivating examples. There needs to be some real programs you or other people are trying to write with Rust that have hit this problem and would benefit from a solution. I don't see lots of questions in the forum about how the limitations of boxed traits is causing problems for developers. I think you might want to search to see if you can find evidence that this is a practical problem. If you can find that evidence, then I would suggest looking into the link-time information Rust used to see if a runtime check could be avoided. If both those conditions are met, then it might be worth writing an RFC to see how the Rust implementation community feel about this feature.