Does #[repr(packed)] have a drop flag?

I am trying to figure out whether data that has repr(packed) has a drop flag or not. None of the documentation seems to mention it. It would seem rather odd for it to contain a drop flag (since that would make FFI difficult).

I feel that it should be mentioned somewhere in the docs whether it has one or not. If it does have one, I would like to be able to remove it (and remove all drop semantics)

Note: my use case is a memory manager for micro-controllers, so the gory details are where I’m at!

The last Nighties don’t add drop flags inside structs.

For FFI you probably want #[repr(C)] or #[repr(C, packed)], and then you’ll get a warning like:

warning: implementing Drop adds hidden state to types, possibly conflicting with `#[repr(C)]`, #[warn(drop_with_repr_extern)] on by default

… at least until you’re on a newer rustc that doesn’t have drop flags, as @leonardo mentioned.

I keep up to date with the most recent nightly.

If I care about the ordering of my data (and I want it packed) should I use #[repr(packed)] or #[repr(C, packed)]? I thought they were equivalent.

https://doc.rust-lang.org/reference.html#ffi-attributes

On structs:

• repr - specifies the representation to use for this struct. Takes a list of options. The currently accepted ones are C and packed, which may be combined. C will use a C ABI compatible struct layout, and packed will remove any padding between fields (note that this is very fragile and may break platforms which require aligned access).

awesome, thanks so much guys.

Btw, if you are curious in the library it is:

I hope to be feature-complete and in Alpha soon