Dockerfile with cached dependencies does not recompile the main.rs file

Hi, following some online tutorials (multiple of them), I wrote my Dockerfile that builds dependencies as one layer and only after that build the application itself. But the app does not get recompiled without additional touch on the main.rs file. Do you have any idea what is wrong? Or is it somehow cached by design? It is not a big problem, I am just surprised, that it works for others (in tutorials) and does not work for me.

FROM rust:latest

RUN groupadd -r user && useradd --no-log-init -r -g user user
RUN USER=root cargo new /central-node
WORKDIR /central-node

COPY ./Cargo.lock ./Cargo.lock
COPY ./Cargo.toml ./Cargo.toml

RUN cargo build --release; \
    rm -f src/*.rs target/release/central-node

COPY ./src ./src

RUN touch ./src/main.rs
RUN cargo build --release

USER user
EXPOSE 8080
CMD ["/central-node/target/release/central-node"]

You already compiled an application before removing it's source files, then when adding yours into the container, main.rs is probably older than the already built artifact, therefore cargo considers it unnecessary to recompile.

Yes, that was my idea as well, but please note the

rm -f src/*.rs target/release/central-node

line where I remove the final binary. How does cargo recreate the "Hello, World!" binary without the source file?

Yes, I realize now. But perhaps some intermediary files remain that cause cargo to think the target were up to date?

Therefore have you checked cargo build -v --release (or even -vv)? I think for debugging the issue this flag might come in handy.

edit

In a project of mine, I deleted the binary after building the project, cargo build --release does nothing. I do consider this a bug in cargo.

another edit

Cargo is not doing nothing, its recreated from another cached artifact, that is more current than src/main.rs. This is obviously not a bug in cargo. This is a bug in how we try to abuse it. Try to rm target/release/$BINARY_NAME target/release/$BINARY_NAME* instead.

Of course I'd prefer if cargo would provide an option to fetch and build dependencies separate from the actual project/workspace.

This would so much better integrate in most CI workflows…

ok thanks for your help. Let's consider this resolved. Hopefully this thread can help others if they hit the same issue.