Different fonts between URLO and IRLO

Recently CSS for URLO has changed, resulting in different font-family rules between websites. IRLO uses font-family: Helvetica,Arial,sans-serif;, while URLO now sets it strictly to Helvetica. Personally I dislike serif fonts, so the change was pretty annoying for me (yes, I know about user CSS). But even leaving my preferences aside, I think IRLO and URLO should use consistent styles.

2 Likes

Though this isn’t necessarily the right difference to choose, it might be a good idea to have some visual distinction so that it’s easier to tell at a glance which you’re looking at.

Edit: It looks like internals has a light gray background on the top bar vs. the white here, so there’s at least a subtle difference already.

Are you using the "Material Dark" theme or the "Default" theme on both sites? Do you know when "recently" this change happened? Also Helvetica and Arial are both sans-serif fonts, so I'm not sure how you're seeing serifs?

edit: I suppose if you don't have Helvetica installed, then you might see serifs on URLO.

edit again: I just looked on our discourse dashboards, and URLO says it was updated 2 days ago and IRLO was updated Aug 17. We're on hosted plans, so we don't have control over this. I will look and see if there's a discourse bug.

another edit: It looks related to this change, but I don't see any bug reports about it yet on the meta discourse. I don't have time to write one right this second, if you want to, go right ahead. I'll update here if I file one later.

6 Likes

I use the default theme. The change has happened several day ago, as you correctly found out in the updates.

Yes, probably it's the reason.

I think they fixed it, while fixing a different problem. I don't know when we'll get the fix though, on either instance.

Here's why I think it's fixed:

{
  name: "Helvetica",
  stack: "Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif",
},
4 Likes