Difference between traits and generics and difference b/w Generic functions and Traits

This may seem stupid and basic. But I am having a hard time distinguishing between these two concepts and their usage in rust. Mostly because they are always used together and also presented together most of the times ( like trait bounds and trait objects where both the concepts are used). I want to understand the exact demarcation between the two concepts. What can be called as a generic and what are traits?

A generic is an empty slot where you can put in a type. A trait is way to restrict which types fit into the empty slots (and by extension, a way to reuse code with many types).

fn my_generic_function<T: MyTrait>(t: T) {
}

In the example above, T is a generic parameter. When you call my_generic_function, you have to choose what T should be in that call. The MyTrait is a trait, which restricts which types you can choose for T.

A function or struct is generic when it has a generic parameter.

1 Like

can we implement Generic functions??/if so,why we need to go for Traits

When you implement a function (generic or not), you simply write the code inside the function. When you implement a trait on a type, you make that type usable in generic functions which require that trait.

// This defines a trait
trait MyTrait {
    fn name(&self) -> &str;
}
// This implements MyTrait on String
impl MyTrait for String {
    fn name(&self) -> &str {
        self.as_str()
    }
}
// This defines a function. Since String implements MyTrait, you can use a String here:
fn my_func<T: MyTrait>(t: T) {
    // my_func has been implemented because I have written the code
    // inside it:
    println!("Name: {}", t.name());
}

When you implement a trait on a type, you make it possible to use that type with a generic function. Because my_func is generic, you can use it with any type that implements MyTrait, and you only have to write my_func once, even though there may be many types you can use it with.

1 Like

You may be familiar with C++ templates? In C++, you can use whatever functionality you want inside a template function and if you try to use something that doesn't exist you will get a call site failure even though the error originates inside the template. In Rust, when you write a generic function, you have to declare what functionality the types must have, or the function won't compile. The way a function declares what functionality its type parameters should have is by using trait bounds.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.