Diesel - how to use recursive ORM model?

I just want to start with the fact that I'm quite new to web dev, so I'm not too well acquainted with how to achieve what I want.
I want to create an SQL db with diesel ORM. One of the tables will contain something called groups which can be thought of as a hierarchical tree structure.

E.g. a group can be root group, or it can have a single parent. Each group should have a unique_id and a user who owns it and a potential parent. My question is how to create this struct in Rust such that diesel would be able to for instance fetch me the whole tree below a given group? Also how would I actually execute such form of recursive invocation in diesel if that is possible at all?

Any help in this regard would be most helpful, however I did not see in any if diesel examples of how to actually work with such tables.

What you describe is a tree storage scheme known as the adjacency list. A far more efficient hierarchical storage scheme for databases is the nested set model. There's a large amount of information available online about it, e.g. Managing Hierarchical Data in MySQL — Mike Hillyer's Personal Webspace. Diesel does not have any convenience methods to deal with nested sets but the queries described in that article should be pretty easy to write with Diesel.

1 Like

Thanks, such article was what I was looking for.