Deref coercion and method resolution

I haven't found quite the answer I'm looking for, but I apologize in advance if it's out there and I just haven't located it.

Could someone explain to me in excruciating detail how, in code such as

let v = vec![1,2,3];
let i = vec.iter();

how exactly does vec.iter() get resolved to the method fn iter(&self) for the slice type. I'm looking for explicit details on when the Deref trait and implicit borrowing kicks in during the process of method resolution.

Thanks,

Matt

Well I can't provide specific details, but I can tell you this:
vec.iter() comes from [T].iter() because the compiler looks for the following:

1. A method in Vec<T> given what T implements
  2. I'm not sure about the order on this one: method that <Vec as Deref> (or in this case [T]) implements or a trait method that Vec<T> implements
  3. A trait method that [T] implements.

The Deref trait for Vec<T>

In the references for rust, when the process for coming up with candidate receiver types for resolution, it uses a Box<T> as an example. One of the steps involves dereferencing Box<T> to come up with T. But here, one wouldn't dereference Vec<T> - at some point in the process it would have to look at applying deref(&self) on the &Vec<T> to come up with &[T] (I think?) and then start looking at methods on [T]. I'm unclear though what the compiler would be doing exactly. Would it say "ok, I see Vec<T> implements Deref<Target=[T]>. So I'll start looking for methods on [T]. I see [T] has implements iter(&self). So I will borrow a reference and apply iter(&self)".

I feel like I'm being very hand waving, though. I want to pretend to be the compiler and lay out all the steps for myself. This is purely for my own edification.

I just know that it works, I basically haven't touched rustc's source code so I'm not the one to ask.