Custom rustup server

I wanted to ask if there were any way to specify a custom server to host pre-built rust binaries?

I only ask because rust-doc and a few other components are not available on teir-2 targets such as the Apple M1 [link], and I was looking to host my own for people to use.

The pre-release testing process works by using the RUSTUP_DIST_SERVER environment variable to specify a different server.

I believe you can run your own server by placing the appropriate artifacts (output of x.py dist) at the appropriate paths on an HTTPS server along with a channel manifest generated by the update-manifest tool. The release team's automation for generating and uploading the artifacts and manifests is in the promote-release repository, but I'm not sure whether it's general enough to be useful for unofficial servers too. You might want to ask on https://internals.rust-lang.org/ or on zulip if you want more details about these tools.

Inside my company we use a hackier approach to distribute a custom toolchain: We have a script that downloads our toolchain and unpacks it to a directory like ~/.rustup/toolchains/foo. Then we can tell rustup to run the "foo" toolchain. However, rustup isn't able to install or update this toolchain on its own.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. We invite you to open a new topic if you have further questions or comments.