Creating impl items using rustc plugins

Hello,

A library that I'm working on interfaces quite a bit with a C-style ABI standard which stores function pointers which basically act as methods, so they would be something like this:

#[my_plugin]
#[repr(C)]
struct Foo {
    some: Data,
    funct: extern "C" fn(self_: *mut Foo, bar: Bar),
   /** more functions, etc **/
}

and to save time (and cut down on typos), I am trying to make a plug-in that would expand the code above to something like this:

#[repr(C)]
struct Foo {
    some: Data,
    funct: extern "C" fn(self_: *mut Foo, bar: Bar),
    /** more functions, etc **/
}

impl Foo {
    fn funct(&mut self, bar: Bar) {
        /** boiler-plate, etc **/

(self.funct)(self, bar)
    }

/** more generated functions **/
}

I've already created a chunk of the plug-in, including getting the name of the function and the declaration information from the struct. As I understand I can add an item by passing an ImplItem(P<ImplItem>) to the &mut FnOnce<Annotatable> that is passed into my plug-in. However, I'm not sure how to create the ImplItem. There seems to be some things in syntax::ext::deriving::generic that will do this for traits (ex. from servo) , but I've found nothing for similar for impl. I also found the quote_*! macros, but I'm not sure how to use them here.

Any suggestions?

The ExtCtxt implements AstBuilder, so you can use all the methods from there to build up an AST node. The deriving stuff is trait-specific and unnecessary here

Otherwise,

quote_item!(cx, impl $struct_name {
fn $funct(...) {
}
})

should work if $struct_name and $funct are local Ident variables holding the names of the function and struct.

Also, you want to pass an Item to the annotatable, specifically an ItemImpl. An ImplItem is for a single method, an ItemImpl is the entire impl.

Docopt does this, and indeed, quote_item is the way to go. :slight_smile: https://github.com/docopt/docopt.rs/blob/master/docopt_macros/src/macro.rs#L70