Crate of the Week

I like maplit, it's tiny and offers a bunch of vec![] like macros for HashMaps etc.

1 Like

I'd like to nominate rusty-release. This a tool that help you when you release a new version of a crate. It update the Carto.toml, tag the version in git, rust cargo test, publish the new version crates.io, ...

At the danger of introducing our first competition here, I'd like to nominate semantic-rs, which does all that, plus make sure that semver constraints are followed.

2 Likes

Please nominate & vote for our crates of the week! Previous week's crates (in alphabetical order) were:

alias arrayvec cargo-count chrono clap clippy conrod crossbeam Diesel gcc gfx glium handlebars herbie-lint hyper itertools LALRPOP lazy_static nom owning_ref preferences quickcheck quick_error racer ramp rayon roaring rotor rustfmt rustful semantic-rs serde tempfile toml winapi

How about the brand new cargo-profiler. This lets you profile binaries using valgrind, but looks like it's also possible to add other profiling tools soon.

5 Likes

The parking_lot crate contains mutex, condvar and rwlocks that can be used statically, unlike the ones in std. This can be an alternative to lazy_static.

6 Likes

I propose pbr as the next crate of the week.

A few days ago I was programming with a friend on a fun side project and we added this really awesome progress bar to our program within a few minutes! It required only two lines of action code (code that actually does something) + dependency code to use the crate I'm talking about (see here).

This progress bar is nothing too special that is hugely important to the Rust eco system... but it made two guys happy for one afternoon :wink:

3 Likes

Please nominate & vote for our crates of the week! Previous week's crates (in alphabetical order) were:

alias arrayvec cargo-count chrono clap clippy conrod crossbeam Diesel gcc gfx glium handlebars herbie-lint hyper itertools LALRPOP lazy_static nom owning_ref pbr preferences quickcheck quick_error racer ramp rayon roaring rotor rustfmt rustful semantic-rs serde tempfile toml winapi

The flate2 crate makes it super easy to add compression to your streams. All you have to do is apply one of the WriteExt or ReadExt methods on your stream to compress/decompress it.

I used it in conjunction with serde and bincode to add save/load feature for my game.

error_chain is a great addition to the ecosystem.

It removes a lot of boilerplate around defining error types, handling upstream errors and passing them along. The more uptake it gets, the more useful it becomes.

12 Likes

I'd like to nominate json crate. It makes life really easy when all you need to do is to parse some trivial JSON data. It has no dependencies and uses no plugins, hence build on stable !

7 Likes

If I can toot my own horn a bit, I'd nominate a binary crate called bins, which is my own project. It handles uploading to and downloading from a variety of pastebins as a command-line tool.

2 Likes

Support!!
At early time, we should together people to the small number of libs~~~~~~make rust production-ready for as more targting development as more quickly

1 Like

Hello !
Why not my little Von Neumann architecture named Reustmann ?
It can be funny to use it with genetic algorithms :slight_smile:

1 Like

@Kero: Cool, I was going to write s.th. similar myself. Now I can try Reustmann togehter with my crate darwin-rs :wink:

1 Like

Thank you @thisWeekInRust ! :heart:

skim - a fuzzy finder.

3 Likes

Shameless plug: cargo modules

A cargo plugin for showing a tree-like overview of a crate's modules.

4 Likes

@llogiq is off this week. We'll be back with Crate of the Week section next week!

json rust: The propably fastest json serializer and parser implementation. At least faster than serde!

https://github.com/maciejhirsz/json-rust

3 Likes