Crate of the Week

I would like to nominate my own package, rst which has just released v0.3.7 and includes a web-ui written in elm that is packaged directly into the binary and deployed to linx, mac and windows using the rust-everwhere tutorial. Here is a blog post about it:

1 Like

I'd like to nominate ruru, a nice Rust wrapper around Ruby's C API. Coming from a place where >90% of both personal and work projects are Ruby, it gives me the opportunity to write faster Ruby code in Rust in a, IMHO, much nicer way than using Ruby's C API. It's not yet full-featured, but lets you do quite a bit, and is regularly updated. The maintainer also provides updates via RSS and @ThisWeekInRuru, has been helpful via gitter, and in PRs.

Rocket is a web framework for Rust that makes it simple to write fast web applications without sacrificing flexibility or type safety. All with minimal code.

12 Likes

Citybound is an independently developed open-source city building game in Rust.

1 Like

metadeps lets you write pkg-config dependencies (such as for -sys crates) declaratively in Cargo.toml, like this:

[package.metadata.pkg-config]
somelib = "1.2.3"
someotherlib = "4.5.6"

This replaces programmatic searches in build.rs. It will also make packaging crates for Linux distributions much easier, by allowing packaging tools to detect and handle non-Cargo dependencies.

I'm currently working on converting existing crates that use pkg-config to use metadeps, and I'd love some help with that.

4 Likes

hakka - A game where each level requires a bit of hacking.

via https://twitter.com/developersimmo/status/813900890499260416

trust - Travis CI and AppVeyor template to test your Rust crate on 5 architectures and publish binary releases of it for Linux, macOS and Windows.

9 Likes

publicsuffix. Robust domain name parsing and RFC compliant email address validation.

4 Likes

Alacritty. A cross-platform, GPU-accelerated terminal emulator.

10 Likes

I'd like to nominate ruru once again. It is really awesome, though I guess development has stalled and I really hope that we can get some more attention to this gem (pun intended), so development continues!

Domafic - Safe, high-performance, universal web applications.

The last few weeks the crate of the week was simply a crate that was posted on reddit the past week.

The way I see it, the crate of the week was supposed to bring to the attention a crate that was a bit unknown or forgotten, but still of good quality.

I don't think it's very useful to bring to the attention a crate that just got public attention a few days before.

2 Likes

peg just learned infix expressions where you can control associativity (which is an Achilles heel of vanilla PEG). It generates pretty fast parsers and is used an as external tool and the error messages are really helpful. It also builds quickly so it's an ok dependency when you're hacking on a weak old macbook air (ಠ_ಠ @ lalrpop's 15 minute compile time)

2 Likes

I'd like to second the vote for rust-peg, for all of the reasons @ehiggs mentioned! That, plus the fact that the developer seems super responsive to issues and queries - the Windows-specific issue I ran into yesterday got fixed within a few hours, which I really wasn't expecting.

1 Like

stdx is a curated list of some of the most important crates in Rust.

1 Like

CotW is a collective effort and we haven't been seeing much nominations lately, so most of the recent CotW have been picked up from reddit.

Actually a lot of stuff in TWiR comes from reddit.
TWiR acts as a weekly digest and I think it is ok if we mention a popular crate from last week as CotW just like we mention popular news from last week.

2 Likes

I would like to nominate fern

fern is the defactor runtime configurable logger for when you want -vvv to actually do something. In my opinion, fern doesn't get nearly the love it should. It makes it simple to configure your logging when you are writting a command line tool. It frequently goes hand-in-hand with clap.

2 Likes

config-rs: Layered configuration system for Rust applications (with strong support for 12-factor applications).

4 Likes

Tantivy is a full text search engine written in Rust. The author has a learned from other search engines, notably Lucene. The code is a joy to work with and very fast.

For those interested in the internals, there's a series on it.

So I'd like to nominate Tantivy.

9 Likes

In the good tradition of tooting one's own horn, I nominate optional, a crate containing a few space saving (and also fast) Option-like types for bools, integers and floats.

4 Likes