Crate of the Week

Nominating cargo vet, an alternative to cargo crev to audit your dependencies. These tool would really benefit from a network effect of public audits.

3 Likes

I'd like to (somewhat) self-plug error-stack. It's a new error-handling library which lets you efficiently attach any arbitrary (thread-safe) data to the Err arm of a Result. And before you ask why we wrote yet another error library :grinning: we've got the answers in this post which goes through some of the philosophy. It's gotten some really positive feedback already and we think it'll be really helpful to a lot of people!

(Also small shout-out, it's based on some of the really cool work being done in core with the Provider API)

6 Likes

I’d like to nominate atom_syndication (‘Library for serializing the Atom web content syndication format.’).

I'd like to nominate TicKV (Tiny Circular Key Value). It's a small file system allowing key value pairs to be stored in Flash Memory. It doesn't require any dependencies and works with no_std

It's designed to allow embedded Rust applications to store data in flash, while maintaining loss resilience, wear leveling and a low memory and storage overhead. It even allows the tests to be run on your host machine, so it can be developed locally, which is pretty cool!

5 Likes

I nominate cap-std, a version of standard library designed to support capability-based security. Currently it seems to be mostly focused on file system access.

4 Likes

I'd like to self-nominate coprosize, which has just reached v1.0.0. It's just a tool for the study of dino dung :poop: but this is the only computer program of this kind in any programming language. :crab:

10 Likes

I like to nominate bevy_reflect - especially for its TypeUuid that also supports generics and helps a lot building runtime composable structures! (Note that generic supporting TypeUuid is currently unreleased AFAICS)

1 Like

Shame: A shader EDSL for writing render and compute pipelines in rust.

4 Likes

dacquiri - Rust just stumbled upon this and it looks super interesting

2 Likes

I'd like to self-nominate my newly published crate bnum. It provides arbitrary, fixed size signed and unsigned integer types that extend the functionality of Rust's primitive integers, using const generics.

2 Likes

I’d like to self-nominate cismute, which provides specialization-like hack on stable Rust.

2 Likes

Cool!, I'm your first :star2: :slight_smile:

I'd like to self nominate thunderStorm - A crate for scaffolding Node.js backend applications

1 Like

I'll need to take a closer look at your crate but it looks amazing! Nice video documentation--in future, I'll possibly think of a similar solution for my crates.

1 Like

I apologize to Goldstein and to the thread for this, but, since I can't take back my "like" of cismute and thus am in the position of permanently being listed as "liking" it, I feel obliged to state that I now question the soundness of that crate and would not have "liked" it had I looked at its source code first. I apologize to Goldstein for being negative about their crate, and I apologize to the thread for being off-topic.

I think I'll also try to stop "liking" posts now that I've learned that it becomes permanent.

I believe I’ve addressed the soundness concern in reply to your issue. In sum, the same concern applies to the standard library, http and any dependent crates like hyper, actix-web or reqwest, and also any other crates that use Any::downcast_{ref,mut}(). Considering this and the fact that it’s unlikely to be a real issue, I think it’s safe to use the crate.

Of course, you have every right to have this concern and to like/unlike the crate because of it.

Thank you :relaxed:

I'd like to self-nominate cargo-semver-checks — a CI-friendly cargo test for preventing semver violations in your crate's API. Only ~a week old, and one of my first "real" crates!

3 Likes

I propose cargo-semver-checks - Scan your Rust crate for semver violations.

2 Likes

Great timing! Your post appeared on my screen not even a second after I submitted mine. Thanks for the nomination :blush:

1 Like