Conflicting implementations in the standard library

Hi all,

I am new here and new to Rust in general. So far, some of it is simply brilliant.
Other things, I still don’t fully understand.

Let’s start with my most recent issue:

use std::fmt;
use std::string;

struct Abc {}

impl string::ToString for Abc {

}

impl fmt::Display for Abc {

}

fn main() {
    println!("Hello World!");
}

I have to admit, I don’t fully understand the module system in general either: it’s not as plain simple as in C, nor as “intelligent” as Python’s or Node’s. Still, it’s something I can get used to.

However, in this case, I suspect std::fmt “imports” the collections crate, which subsequently redefines string::ToString. Bottom line is that this very simple file yields the following error:

error[E0119]: conflicting implementations of trait `std::string::ToString` for type `Abc`:
 --> test.rs:6:1
  |
6 |   impl string::ToString for Abc {
  |  _^ starting here...
7 | | }
  | |_^ ...ending here
  |
  = note: conflicting implementation in crate `collections`

Usually, the errors that the rust compiler spits out are fairly eloquent. This time, however, it confuses me. I know that it is possible for modules to “export” other modules (by using pub use). However, why would it complain about conflicting implementations? If I remove use std::fmt and the Display trait implementation, it does work.

Anyway, hopefully you can explain to me why it does this so I can get a better understanding of the module system as a whole!

Greetings,

Tim

According to the docs:

This trait is automatically implemented for any type which implements the Display trait. As such, ToString shouldn’t be implemented directly

And on that same docs page, this is shown under “Implementors”:

impl<T> ToString for T
  where T: Display + ?Sized

Thanks a lot! This makes perfect sense now. @cuviper really incredible that that’s possible.