}

pub fn as_key(&self) -> &'static str {
        match self {
            MyEnum::A => "A=",
            MyEnum::B => "B=",
        }
    }
}

is there a way to avoid rematching variants in as_key as it's basically as_str() concatenate with '='?

I've found this Concatenate two `&'static str` from 2019, so asking again in 2021 as const fn landed, I was wondering if I was missing something.

I tried:

enum MyEnum {
    A,
    B,
}

impl MyEnum {
    pub const fn as_str(&self) -> &'static str {
        match self {
            MyEnum::A => "A",
            MyEnum::B => "B",
        }
    }

concat!(self.as_str(), "=")
    }
}

But even with as_str() being const, it doesn't accept it

No, it's not possible.

1 Like

If your goal is just to avoid typing the mapping out twice, have you considered flipping which function calls which?

enum MyEnum {
    A,
    B,
}

impl MyEnum {
    pub fn as_str(&self) -> &'static str {
        &self.as_key()[..1]
    }

match self {
            MyEnum::A => "A=",
            MyEnum::B => "B=",
        }
    }
}
6 Likes

const-concat crate provides both library implementation for it AND explanation why it's wicked hard problem.

2 Likes

I think I need 17 cups of coffee to be awake enough to think of this simple solution… x)

1 Like

Note that const_concat! does some technically UB things, such as transmuting a &[u8] to a &str, since str::from_utf8_unchecked is not a const fn yet. Using a newtype wrapper that calls the zero-cost from_utf8_unchecked on Deref would thus be a more sound approach:

Back to the OP, performing a const concatenation of &strs requires a very convoluted dance between "values" and "types" which:

• require macros, since actual function signatures would be unable to express such a dance (it would be dependent typing);

• require const blocks; they are incompatible with const fns due to all the shenanigans involved.

On the other hand, const truncation is indeed a way way simpler solution :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. We invite you to open a new topic if you have further questions or comments.