Compiler wrongly complains about wrong types

The compiler throws the error:
expected trait object dyn A, found struct B
for the line _b: Vec::from([Box::new( B {} )]), but doesn't mind the same type when I change to the vec! macro. I can't begin to wrap my head around why this is. Ideas?

BTW, I'm doing this in the process of creating a GUI system inspired by Flutter, where layout widgets, like Row and Column have a vector of children.

Playground

trait A {}

struct B {}

impl A for B {}

struct C {
    _b: Vec<Box<dyn A>>
}

fn fails() {
    let _c = C {
        _b: Vec::from([Box::new( B {} )])
    };
}

fn works() {
    let _c = C {
        _b: vec![Box::new( B {} )]
    };
}

fn main() {
    fails();
    works();
}

It is a matter of how traits have been implemented for Vec as well as how the vec! macro works.

• Vec<T> has From<[T; N]> implemented for it. So that case that fails should fail, because of the error message
  • The vec! macro expands into <[_]>::into_vec(box [Box::new(B {})]),};. Now, how that works is beyond me...

The short version is that Vec::from gives you Vec<Box<B>>, and vec! gives Vec<Box<dyn A>>. You need to unsize the Box before creating the Vec.

The vec! macro works because it does <[_]>::into_vec, which resolves based on the requires output type to <[Box<dyn A>]>::into_vec. Now the box in the slice unsizes match the type, and everything works out.

When you call Vec::from, type information is flowing strictly from the inside out, so you get [Box<B>; 1], and no unsizing coercion.

If you specify a concrete type of Box<dyn A> somewhere, rather than letting type inference fail in this case, it will all work out.

I believe this should be considered a type inference failure, and could be reported on the rust repo as such.

2 Likes

Thank you @CAD97 and @RedDocMD for shedding some light on the matter. I see now that the reason for the error isn't obvious. I do not however, understand terms like unsizing Boxes and type coercion, so I'll spend some time reading through the docs and possibly create an issue with the Rust team afterwards.

Well, Box<B> and Box<dyn A> are two separate types, and converting from Box<B> to a Box<dyn A> is called an unsizing coercion. It sometimes happens automatically, and sometimes not.

1 Like

Right, so something like implicit type conversion in C? I presume then that the term unsizing is analogous to the promotion or demotion of C types?

trait A {}

struct B {}

impl A for B {}

struct C {
    _b: Vec<Box<dyn A>>
}

fn fails() {
    let _c = C {
        _b: Vec::from([Box::new( B {} ) as Box<dyn A>])
    };
}

fn works() {
    let _c = C {
        _b: vec![Box::new( B {} )]
    };
}

fn main() {
    fails();
    works();
}

Using an explicit type cast got rid of the error. Thanks guys.

It is called unsizing because it goes from the sized type B to the unsized type dyn A.

Array decay in C is a kind of unsizing coercion. When you have an array of a definite size char a[5]; and you pass it to a function void f(char *a) that takes a pointer to an array of indefinite size, the compiler implicitly converts a to a pointer to its first element. (This, as you may know, causes many confused people to say silly things like "arrays and pointers are the same in C".)

In doing this implicit conversion (=coercion), the C compiler is "erasing" the array's size. Before the coercion the size is known at compile time; after the coercion, it is only known at runtime (and that only if you actually keep track of the size in a separate variable). A similar thing happens in Rust when you coerce &[u8; 5] to &[u8] - the major difference being that Rust actually keeps track of the runtime-known size for you, by making &[u8] a fat pointer that contains both the data pointer and the size.

Coercing Box<B> to Box<dyn A> is similar, too: B has a compile-time-known size, and Box<B> is a pointer to it, which when necessary can be converted to a fat pointer to the unsized type dyn A. (Slices [T] and trait objects dyn Tr are the two kinds of unsized types in Rust.) The compiler "erases" (forgets) the concrete type B and only remembers that the type is something that implements A. The actual implementation (along with the size of B) is stored in a vtable, a pointer to which is added to the fat pointer Box<dyn A>.

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. We invite you to open a new topic if you have further questions or comments.