Comparison of programming languages in Stackoverflow Survey

A nobel aim. It happens in pretty much all language comparison threads. Programmer's love the to and fro. Like football fans and their comparisons of football teams. Everyone has their favourites, often without any particular rational argument.

Is even making such a question a wrong thing for a manager? For this to be true, he must be aware that you're competent in both languages and trust your judgement. And if so, and he makes such a question, this would probably lower the respect. But I think it is a very rare case.

Regarding the "Have you tried Javascript" story, I don't know which area you mean where Go is inappropriate. In my field, every once in a while you hear stories that someone rewrote their data processing in Go and it worked well for them.

In our field, it's always an open question what to do with Python codebase. Few would consider Java or C# nowadays. But even if options are just 3

• keep pipelines in Python, but switch to faster libraries here and there
  • convert them to Go
  • convert them to Rust

nobody has complete information to tell which would be the best. Someone tried Go, but you won't trust his judgement. I use Rust, but I'm biased as well. Someone snubs Go, someone thinks Rust is for low-level systems programming.

We could try inviting an expert, but such one has to be a very rare person who

• used Go extensively in production similar to ours
  • used Rust in the same conditions
  • hired people with both Go & Rust recently, and knows which language has more competent candidates
  • watched people get used to either Go or Rust

In most cases, such expert isn't available, and you have to make judgements of what will be most suitable for you, with very incomplete information.

Sure, Go might be limited in most areas, but in my field, until I showed some working Rust code to colleagues, they'd only think of Go (to rewrite data processing pipelines). So Go is a competitor.

I understand that it might be different in your field of work.

2 Likes

Why are we having a Reddit war on URLO? It isn't helping anybody.

2 Likes

Think of it as some pre Christmas jollies. Folks letting their hair down a bit. Loosening the shackles of the usually expected decorum. Useless but fun.

So now it's suddenly not every company but my field? Maybe you can tell what field that is, then?

Because I've tried to find mention of anything like that in the first message and there wasn't anything like that.

And StackOverflow statistic used there definitely haven't supported idea that we are talking about some narrow field.

Pipelines sound a bit closer to the microservices realm where Go dominates and where Rust can be used but which is not it's natural habitat.

Sure, but if you want to start discussion about your field then how are subject even relevant?

You need to look on what happens in your field, Stack Overflow surveys may show you the situation in the IT in general (if they may even show anything at all).

Where did I write "every company"? You're posting long dismissive rants from the very beginning, and now projecting something on me, rude, and fighting a straw man. Please stop. I've muted the thread.

2 Likes

StackOverflow Trends allows you to easily compare the proportion of the site's questions with a particular tag:

Since the release of the 2018 Edition in late 2018, Rust questions have increased pretty sharply:

Stack_Overflow_Trends

And this video provides a somewhat entertaining long-term perspective:

8 Likes

It warms my heart to see that ALGOL stayed in that ranking until dropping out in 1990 or so. I had not seen it in use since the late 1970's.

Here's a brand new version of that video comparing programming languages. Rust is on the list now, at the end.

5 Likes

Mesmerising.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. We invite you to open a new topic if you have further questions or comments.