Clippy warning -> but conceptually I'm using this correctly

I’ve written this code - where a command (enum) is given to my execute_command function. Conceptually, the function is the only consumer of that command and once the command is executed, there is no use for that command any more. So I want to pass ownership to the execute_command scope and then have it be destroyed when the scope exits.

Unfortunately Clippy is throwing a warning at me:

warning: this argument is passed by value, but not consumed in the function body
  --> src/game.rs:46:40
   |
46 |     fn execute_command(&self, command: Command) -> Piece{
   |                                        ^^^^^^^
   |
   = note: #[warn(needless_pass_by_value)] on by default
   = help: for further information visit https://rust-lang-nursery.github.io/rust-clippy/v0.0.169/index.html#needless_pass_by_value
help: consider taking a reference instead
   |
46 |     fn execute_command(&self, command: &Command) -> Piece{
47 |         match *command {
   |

Is there something wrong in my implementation? Have I conceptualised the interaction wrong? What is life?

impl Game{
    fn execute_command(&self, command: Command) -> Piece{
        match command {
            Command::MoveLeft => self.current.move_left(),
            Command::MoveRight => self.current.move_right()
        }
    }
}

Clippy is trying to catch a style issue here. Moving a value is unnecessarily restrictive to the caller (just in case the caller wanted to reuse the value).

Is the Command a small value? (8 bytes or less) If so, then make it implement Copy. If the command is much larger, then you could as well accept &Command as an argument.

Unless, you deliberately want to restrict the Command to be executed only once. If so, then the code is fine, and you can disable that warning.

It’s a very small enum. I’ve implemented copy/clone as I prefer that to disabling a warning. Thank you for your help :slight_smile: