Choosing the 'best' representation for unsigned integers at compile time

I am a library author, sosecrets-rs is my crate.

I am writing a type pub struct RTSecret<T, const MEC: usize>(T, UnsafeCell<usize>); such that if self.1 > MEC, then the secret won't be exposed (either panic or return Err), else, it will be self.1 += 1 (see caveat below) and the exposed secret will be returned.

As a library author, I do not know what my user will choose for MEC, e.g. they might write something like let secret = RTSecret::<i32, 69>::new(70);, since MEC = const 69 in this case, I 'know' self.1 will never be larger than the literal 69 and I can optimize RTSecret by having its 1 field to be UnsafeCell<u8> instead of UnsafeCell<usize>.

Caveat:
Of course self.1 += 1 won't work since it is UnsafeCell<usize>, this is just to explain the context of my question.

I tried to accomplish this but no to avail. I wonder if it is even possible before const generics operations is stabilized.

fn main() {
    use std::cell::UnsafeCell;

const fn bits_needed<const N: usize>() -> usize {
        let mut n = N;
        let mut count = 0;

while n > 0 {
            n >>= 1;
            count += 1;
        }

count
    }

const fn closest_unsigned_integer_type<const N: usize>() -> u8 {
        let bits = bits_needed::<N>();

if bits <= 8 {
        } else if bits <= 16 {
        } else if bits <= 32 {
        } else {
        }
    }

trait WhichRepresentation<const N: u8> {
        type Representation;
    }

impl WhichRepresentation<8> for () {
        type Representation = u8;
    }

impl WhichRepresentation<16> for () {
        type Representation = u16;
    }

impl WhichRepresentation<32> for () {
        type Representation = u32;
    }

impl WhichRepresentation<64> for () {
        type Representation = u64;
    }

trait ChooseRepresentation {
        type Representation;
    }

struct Choose<const N: usize> {}

impl<const N: usize> Choose<N> {
        const N: usize = N;
    }

impl<const N: usize> ChooseRepresentation for Choose<N> {
        type Representation = <() as WhichRepresentation::<{
            closest_unsigned_integer_type::<N>()
        }>>::Representation;
    }
    // <() as ChooseRepresentation::<256>>::WhatSize
    const Q: usize = 69;
    // println!("{:?}",
    // <() as WhichRepresentation::<{<() as ChooseRepresentation::<{Q}>>::WhatSize}>>::Representation::MAX);
    // pub struct RTSecret<T, const MEC: usize>(T, UnsafeCell::<<() as WhichRepresentation::<{<() as ChooseRepresentation::<{MEC}>>::WhatSize}>>::Representation>);
}

Playground

I'll be interested to see if there are other answers but I think you would have to use a macro. My reasoning is that you are actually changing the type based on the logic so, as you say, you need the code to change at compile time.

Personally I think what I am hoping to achieve is impossible right now until feature = const_generics_exprs lands on stable.

1 Like

Would require generic_const_exprs I think. I'm curious why you decided to move away from typenum?

Personally, I wouldn't bother with this optimization, as I expect application to have like a handful of secrets and not millions.

@jendrikw

Seems like without generic_const_exprs, what I want would be impossible.

I redesigned my tuple struct such that it now takes in a new type parameter, SIZE: typenum::Unsigned = typenum::consts::U0, so that user of this struct can specify whether or not they want a smaller sized type to represent the counter field, so instead of the default usize, they can opt to use u8 instead, in their program, at their compile time.

Playground

Updated Playground

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. We invite you to open a new topic if you have further questions or comments.