Change the default 'Run' settings for the Rust-Analyzer plugin in VS Code

Hi all, new Rust user here. I have a question that I hope you can help me with.

I have installed Rust in my main OS and I've also installed the rust-analyzer plugin in VS Code. When I press the 'Run' option of the rust-analyzer codelens, by default, it runs the following code:

'cargo run --package my_package_name --bin my_package_name'

My question is this... is there any way that I can modify the default behaviour so that the '--quiet' flag can be used i.e when I press the 'Run' option, VS Code will run this code instead:

'cargo run --quiet --package my_package_name --bin my_package_name'?

Many thanks for your help.

hi, My usual practice is to run commands directly on the terminal.

you can configure a task on the terminal, which will be in your project Generate a task.json under the .vscode directory

{
	"tasks": [
		{
			"type": "cargo",
			"command": "run --quiet",
			"problemMatcher": [
				"$rustc"
			],
			"label": "rust: cargo run --quiet"
		}
	]
}

Not really possible today, but I'd very much love to see this!

The relevant issue is Customize Run / Debug with Command Line Arguments · Issue #10408 · rust-lang/rust-analyzer · GitHub

1 Like

Hi,

many thanks for this James. Using your original code as a template, I managed to create a task, but I had to place the "--quiet" flag into a separate "args" section to get the whole thing to work (as shown below):

{
"type": "cargo",
"command": "run",
"args": ["--quiet"],
"problemMatcher": [
"$rustc"
],
"label": "rust: cargo run --quiet",
},

Thanks again.

1 Like

Me too, I think that this would be a great feature to have, shame it didn't get much traction in the community. Thanks for getting back to me so quickly.

All the best.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. We invite you to open a new topic if you have further questions or comments.