Cargo-trend 0.1.0 released

I released cargo-trend v0.1.0.

cargo-trend is a cargo subcommand to generate trend graph of dependent crates.
For example, the following comand willl generate a trend graph of some error management crates.

cargo trend failure error-chain quick-error snafu err-derive

The result is below:

9 Likes

Very cool!

To me it's interesting to see that it's very rare for crates to have a downward trend. The biggest one is cargo trend gcc cc, and even that is a modest one. cargo trend rustc-serialize serde barely moved. time chrono and tempdir tempfile show the deprecated ones are still growing.

Thanks!
I think it's a nice viewpoint.

By the way, time crate seems to be maintained again?

This looks a lot like cargo tally.  :wink:

One thing I found useful was looking at dependencies as a fraction of size of crates.​io. This gives a much better indication of when a crate is "at its peak" rather than still expanding as the absolute numbers might suggest.

Two other features that would be neat to see in cargo trend: optionally count transitive dependencies (not just direct dependencies), and be able to break things down by crate version so you can graph e.g. serde:0.8, serde:0.9, serde:1.0.

3 Likes

Thanks. I couldn't find it.
Fraction seems to be very nice indicator.
Other features are interesting too.

One you set up your CI pipeline, all your dependencies get guaranteed downloads.

One you set up your CI pipeline, all your dependencies get guaranteed downloads.

I don't see how that matters, graphs are for the number of crates, not for downloads.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.