Cargo.toml error

I've installed rust on my computer and use VSCode to write code. When i write some rust code and try to build it with Cargo build on terminal, i get an error, could not find Cargo.toml in c:\Users\(directory name) or any parent directory. How can i resolve this? thanks

How do you go about starting to write rust code? The easiest way is using the cargo tool to automatically set up your rust project. The way I currently do it with VSCode: just navigate in the command line to some place where you want to create a project, then execude cargo new name_of_my_project, afterwards navigate into the newly created directory (cd name_of_my_project) and open the directory with vscode (execude the code . command). The command line kept open seperately can still be useful for manually invoking some cargo commands on the side, such as for example cargo doc --open to generate and open the documentation for your code in a web-browser.

For further reference on how rust projects are structured and how you can compile them manually, you can start out by reading the "getting started" section of the rust book.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. We invite you to open a new topic if you have further questions or comments.