Cargo patch local crate dependency with another local crate

I have a large OS project consisting of a virtual workspace with dozens of crates. When developing new features, I often need to temporarily use a different version of one crate for testing/development purposes, or swap back and forth between two versions of that crate. This is currently extremely tedious and error-prone, because I have to manually edit many Cargo.toml manifests.

For example, I have a crate runqueue, and there are 20+ other crates that depend on runqueue, meaning that they have this in their manifest files:

[dependencies.runqueue]
path = "path/to/runqueue"

What I would like to be able to do is to replace runqueue with runqueue_new, without having to change the manifest file of every single crate that depends on runqueue. Ideally, I'd like to do this such that every crate that depends on runqueue in the entire workspace now satisfies that dependency with runqueue_new instead of runqueue.

I tried to use the patch manifest section, but cannot figure out how to let it override local dependencies. It seems that you can only use patch to override the crates-io registry or git sources.

[patch.'???']
runqueue = { path = "path/to/runqueue_new" }

I have no idea what to put for the ??? registry URL.

Is there a proper way to override a local dependency with another local dependency? Thanks!