Cargo "An unknown error occurred" since Mac OS X 10.11 upgrade

Is anyone else seeing this? The error messages are inconsistent. And there's no backtrace. Do I need to recompile/install rust?

I usually get this error when two instances of Cargo are trying to compile the same thing. For example, I use Atom editor, with the rust-linter add-on. When I save a file it runs Cargo to check for errors and show them directly in Atom itself.

But if I save and try to cargo build before rust-linter's instance finished I get this error.

I can't say in your case if it's the same, but I would definitely check for multiple instances of Cargo running at the same time.

Hi,

Is anyone else seeing this? The error messages are inconsistent. And there's no backtrace. Do I need to recompile/install rust?

I'm not sure if that's related to your problem, but I did have problems with OS X El Capitan upgrade and local installs in /usr/local ...

None of the error messages were really helpful but basically the feature called System Integrity Protection seems to mess up things. Instead of trying to turn it off, I ended up with setting the permissions as described here:

sudo chown $(whoami):admin /usr/local && sudo chown -R $(whoami):admin /usr/local

That's assuming a bash shell ...

I hope that helps,

Jan

1 Like

Oh. This probably the same issue for me. I finally got atom and racer working properly. Happened to coincide with my OS X upgrade.

-- btw, late reply sitting open in a window :confused: --