Cannot infer type for type parameter

Hi I am having trouble knowing how to pass a None type using the explicit trait it wraps.
I have the following function

pub async fn run(verbosity: u64, mut output_override: Option<Box<impl output::YosemiteOutput>>) -> Result<(), Box<dyn Error>> {

I call this method where the output_override is based on command line options like

match output_type {
        OutputType::console => {
            run(verbosity, Some(Box::new(outputs::console_output::ConsoleOutput::new()))).await
        },
        OutputType::postgres  => {
            run(verbosity, Some(Box::new(outputs::postgres_output::PostgresOutput::new()))).await
        },
        _ => {
            run(verbosity, do_conversion, None).await // causes error
        }
    }

Without the default option things work fine but when I try to pass None I get the error

type inside `async` block must be known in this context
   --> src/main.rs:441:13
    |
441 |             run(verbosity, None).await
    |             ^^^ type inside `async` block must be known in this context
    |
441 |             run(config_path, campus_name, requested_ip, requested_point_name, verbosity, do_conversion, None).await
    |             ^^^ cannot infer type for type parameter `impl output::YosemiteOutput` declared on the function `run`
    |
note: the type is part of the `async` block because of this `await`
    |
441 |             run(config_path, campus_name, requested_ip, requested_point_name, verbosity, do_conversion, None).await
    |             ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ declared on the function `run`
    |
note: the type is part of the `async` block because of this `await`
    |
441 |             run(verbosity, None).await
    |             ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I not sure what the error is telling me. How can I explicitly pass the type for that None using the explicit trait ?

None::<Type>, for instance None::<Box<outputs::console_output::ConsoleOutput>> (the real type probably doesn't matter in your case). Or the longer form Option::<Type>::None.

1 Like

Ah thanks. I just chose one real type to put it there. That was the main confusion of what I could put.

Could you make a minimized repro case in play.rust-lang.org and file a ticket? It feels to me that the error itself could be improved to at least point at the None.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. We invite you to open a new topic if you have further questions or comments.