Can i begin my system programming journey with rust?

Greetings !!

I have no prior experience in System programming. Can i begin my journey with rust ? Or should i do it with C/C++?

Thank you !

1 Like

In my opinion, as a self-taught software developer who has worked with all kinds of languages over the years, from Assembly to Perl to C/C++ to Java to C# to ObjectPascal/Delphi to lots and lots of others, and now exploring/getting into Rust (for the last year or so), I think Rust is an excellent first language for "Systems Programming". I definitely think you can start with Rust.

Have fun! And Welcome to the Par-Tay!

3 Likes

Any books that you can recommend for sys programming with rust ? . I have arch linux running on my nexus 5 armv7 ..can i do sys development in that as well with root ?

Thank you !

In my opinion, if you really want to learn system programming language, Rust is the best place to start. Maybe the first wall is a bit higher than in C++ or D, but if you are thinking about system programming, you would fall into all C++ traps (like iterator invalidation, dangling references, and so) sooner or later, and Rust would prevent you from this, but not by pretending that those problem doesn't exists, but by enforcing you to avoid them by writing correct code (or at least strongly pushing you - if you are really convinced to hurt yourself, you may always workaround everything with unsafe).

1 Like

The Rust book, second edition is very good and it's a good way to start learning Rust. There's a paper version if you prefer.

2 Likes

Also check out Rust by Example.

2 Likes