Bitvec compilation error when targetting x86_64-unknown-linux-musl

Not sure if this is the right place to ask about this, but I am at a loss for where to search.

I am trying to cross compile my Rust command line project to x86_64-unknown-linux-musl using Google Actions.

First, here is the projects:

https://github.com/mikechambers/dcli

I am compiling with the following command:

cargo build --manifest-path=src/Cargo.toml --release --target x86_64-unknown-linux-musl

but I keep getting this error during the compilation (one of the packages I use uses bitvec, I dont directly use it):

Compiling bitvec v0.19.4
error: unexpected `self` parameter in function
--> /github/home/.cargo/registry/src/github.com-1ecc6299db9ec823/bitvec-0.19.4/src/slice/api.rs:2791:9
 |
2791 |     fn get(self, slice: Self::Immut) -> Option<Self::Immut> {
 |            ^^^^ not valid as function parameter
 |
 = note: `self` is only valid as the first parameter of an associated function

Two questions:

1. Does anyone know of an up to date action for Github Actions for compiling to x86_64-unknown-linux-musl?
  2. Any suggestions on how to begin to approach tracking down the issue above? Doing a google search doesn't turn anything up at all.

I would really like to do a linux release for my project, but at this point I may just require linux users to compile on there own.

For reference, here is my Google Action:

name: Rust

on: [push]

jobs:

build-linux-musl:
    runs-on: ubuntu-latest
    steps:
      - name: Step Settings
        id: settings
        run: |
            echo ::set-output name=SOURCE_TAG::${GITHUB_REF/refs\/tags\//}
            echo ::set-output name=TARGET_NAME::x86_64-unknown-linux-musl
      - uses: actions/checkout@master
      - name: Build and Test
        uses: stevenleadbeater/rust-musl-builder@master
        with:
          cmd: cargo build --manifest-path=src/Cargo.toml --release --target ${{ steps.settings.outputs.TARGET_NAME }}

fyi, just to follow up on this. I was able to get it to compile by updating rust on the instance.

Here is the updated action:

build-linux-musl:
runs-on: ubuntu-latest
steps:
- name: Step Settings
id: settings
run: |
echo ::set-output name=SOURCE_TAG::${GITHUB_REF/refs/tags//}
echo ::set-output name=TARGET_NAME::x86_64-unknown-linux-musl
- uses: actions/checkout@master
- name: Build and Test
uses: stevenleadbeater/rust-musl-builder@master
with:
args: /bin/bash -c "rustup update && cargo build --manifest-path=src/Cargo.toml --release --target=x86_64-unknown-linux-musl"

The error points to: https://docs.rs/bitvec/0.19.4/src/bitvec/slice/api.rs.html#2790

which looks fine to me. The macro is here: https://docs.rs/bitvec/0.19.4/src/bitvec/slice/api.rs.html#2712

Are you using a recent version of Rust?

If the action is caching ~/.cargo dir, maybe some files got mangled? Does clearing it help?

Yeah, that was the issue. I was able to figure out how to first update rust in the action, and that fixed the issues.

Thanks!